Sealing kettle lids for CIP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VinceBrews

Reaction score
Hello all,
My current setup is a 3 vessel electric Kal clone. I've been doing a lot of reading about automation and I'm about to pull the trigger with BruControl. One aspect of AutoNation that I'm interested about is CIP. The question I have is how to seal the lids of my 20g bayou classic kettles for use with a CIP ball?

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I use one of these and have it offset in the lid about 1/3 from the edge of the lid of my SS Brewtech 10 gallon kettle. Since it sprays in a cone, nothing comes out. 1/2 way through I move it to spray more on the other side. Doesn't perfectly clean but it just takes a quick wipe to get anything that's left after a 20 minute 180 degree CIP cycle. Just the steam alone seems to get a lot. I also usually put my flask from my starter and other misc stuff in there too kind of like a dishwasher (though it doesn't really spray inside the flask--I just fill it with the water/PBW mix) When I'm done I pump a couple gallons into a bucket for wiping down, rinse, then tear everyhing down for exterior cleaning and a final rinse. I usually do a Barkeepers Friend scrub of the bottom since the trub cone usually leaves a little stuck on area.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MHNEJXW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a spray ball with the 20 gallon Bayou classics. I have the ball attached to the middle of one of the lids with a no-weld fitting. As the lids don't fit very tight I just use cheap clamps to hold it down. Nothing leaks out.

Back