Sealing Bottling Bucket Hole

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suckmyale

Reaction score
So I have a couple extra bottling buckets that I want to convert into fermenting buckets.

I know I could keep the spigot in, and hope that is doesn't leak, but I will never use these for bottling, so I was hoping for a permanent way to seal these holes.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I know they make plastic repair kits for kayaks, might be more money than you want to spend but could get you in the right track. It's basically some plastic stock and a heat applicator to melt and mold the plastic. Seems like you could use something similar on the bucket lids. Or, as a simpler solution, find some small bungs and glue them in.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You could always just stick a rubber stopper in the hole. Stick a stainless washer on both sides and put a stainless steel bolt through the center hole then put a nut on the outside of the bucket and tighten then nut to collapse the stopper expanding the sides and wedging it firmly in the hole.

Sent from somewhere to someone

I understand being frugal and re-use - recycle - re-purpose but why would you risk it? Leaks and infections in the cracks and creases. 6.5 Gallon fermenting buckets with lid and grommet can be purchased for $15.00 or less. It is my opinion that preventing an infected batch is worth the price of a new bucket.

I've fermented in a bottling bucket with a spigot and never had leaks. I try to avoid it now but I wouldn't hesitate to do it if I had to. I'd trust it over anything else.

Back