Sealing bottles with wax

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been thinking about sealing my mead bottles with wax. I have sealed beer bottles before with sealing wax I purchased at the LHBS. I did it for the look because I gave the beer as gifts for Christmas.

I make candles as another one of my hobbies so I am contemplating a way to make a suitable sealing wax from the supplies I have on hand. I am thinking about blending some soft container wax with straight paraffin wax to see if I can get something that isn't too hard but won't be so soft that it will deform easily.
For starters, I was thinking 1/4 container wax to 3/4 paraffin to start with. I will be using liquid dye to color the wax.

This is typical of me in that I love to have my hands in as many processes as possible plus it would be nice to be able to make custom colors.

Any thoughts?
2967-finishedpumpkinalebottle-8316.jpg

I think sealing mead with beeswax would be an great look for mead in clear wine bottles. Wax from bees would compliment the fermented honey from bees!

I like to make my own bottle wax. The trick is to make wax that will not chip at any temperature. Here is a recipe that has worked well for me.

3oz bees wax or paraffin
2 small hot glue sticks
1 crayola crayon of color of choice

This is enough for about 4-5 bottles if done in a small enough pot to not spread it out too thin for dipping.

Just make a big pot of water and get it to boiling and put the small pot in the water. Keep the temps high. The glue stick melt last and take some working with a spoon/spatula to get mixed with the wax. Takes about 20+ min of prep but the results are great.

I like to make my own bottle wax. The trick is to make wax that will not chip at any temperature. Here is a recipe that has worked well for me.

I have read about using the glue sticks while researching sealing wax. I think there must be something to this because I bet straight paraffin would be too thin and brittle.
Looks like I'll be experimenting!
Thanks for the recipe. I'll give it a try.

Tried a test run using Arpolis' recipe with the exception of liquid dye in place of the crayons for color.
I like the thickness of the finished sealer but the color is a bit muted. I think I need an additive that will make the wax more opaque. I didn't do a very neat job but this looks like it might work.
Tomorrow I will try and peal off the wax to see how hard it will be to remove.

waxtest-65689.jpg

I think it looks good too. Never tried liquid dye. Hope it works to your liking.

Just sealed my JAOM with this wax. I added 2 more drops of blue dye to make it more purple and I think they look good. I can see though where the wax didn't completely adhere to the bottle making what looks like bubbles in the wax. All in all though, I'm pretty satisfied with the results.
EDIT: The wax is much more purple than shown in the photo.
joam-bottle-65785.jpg

Back