Scrub Master 3000 Version 2.0

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1/2" PVC with a cap will still not fit in my 5 gal. carboy neck. Just a smidge of sanding on this particular cap should make it a go!

do you use the downward facing port to drain the bucket in between cycles, or just dump it?

That's what I figured. Mine is built, just need to find PVC glue in Korea to make the center poles. Do you let the PBW dissolve before you turn on the pump?

Hi everyone,

I went to HD to get these parts and i learn that PVC is'nt kept anymore here in Quebec because its replaced by PEX, about the the third of the parts were available... I dont know why though.

So i want to share with you, what is the build i made.

I go out of from the pump with a Stainless reducer to go from 3/4 to 1/2. Then i put a nipple to attach a tee. Ill get a pvc 1/2 nipple that will attach to 4 feet of pvc to clean the corny. Then, from the middle port of the the tee, i plug a nipple that goes into another tee. In the two opening of the other tee, i plug a 1/2 to 1/4 reducer so that i can plug directly a 1/4 brass ball valve (normaly used with a c02 regulator). Then i connect the tubing and my ball lock post.

When i want to clean my kegerator lines, i use one of the 2 ball valves, the other one is used to manage the pressure like stated earlier by the OP.

Total cost, minus the corny post = about 65$.

Ill post some pictures when its gonna be build. If i forget to do it and your interested about the pictures, dont be shy to message me.

Jean

Parts list from ontario beer kegs

Code Description Qty Regular Total

reducing-coupler-3-4-x-half
Stainless Steel Reducing Coupler - 3/4" x 1/2" (FPT)

1 $3.99 $3.99

nipple-HALF-X-1-close-threaded
Stainless Steel Close Nipple

2 $2.99 $5.98

1-2-Plug-SS
Stainless Steel 1/2 Plug

1 $2.49 $2.49

SS-Tee
Stainless Steel Tee

2 $3.99 $7.98

reducer-bushing-half-x-1-4
Stainless Steel 1/2" MPT x 1/4" FPT Reducer Bushing

2 $4.99 $9.98

ValveBarb
Ball Valve with Check - 1/4" MPT x 1/4" Barb

2 $7.99 $15.98

Thick-wall-Beverage-line
Bevlex200 Thick Wall Beer Line

12 $0.69 $8.28

Subtotal: $57.43
GST: $2.87
Shipping & Handling: $8.54
Grand Total: $68.84

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406797824.276934.jpg. Thanks for the thread

Just finished mine and it works great! :ban: Well worth the investment of time and money.

Adding a hose to the end of the exhaust pipe works like a champ to drain the bucket. A good way to "change cycles" is to run the water out while adding new water from the hose.

Just a heads-up for those wanting to build this, a 1/4 Superior pump (the one in the OP) is coming up on Amazon Lightning deals in about 50 min.

Would it be possible to have two PVC pipes, one inside the other so it could telescope, in order to fit different size kegs, carboys, etc., or is the pump too powerful (meaning the water pressure would push the telescoping part)? I ferment in several different sized vessels from growlers and 1 gal jugs to 3, 5 and 6 gal carboys, have 2.5 gal kegs and will be getting 5 gal kegs soon. I'd like to limit the number of pipes I'll have to switch out due to length. Any one have other suggestions on how to handle this?

Ok, this thing is great! I just finished mine today, only problem I'm having is lots of foaming with the OxiClean. I can only run it for 2 minutes or so and then the foam is overflowing my container onto the floor, I'm running 1 scoop of Oxi per gallon of water. Maybe I need to cut that back, any hints? I'd like to just get this running and turn my back on it for 10 minutes while I take care of other things. Maybe PBW would foam less?

I diluted the Oxi and will try much less the next time. But I'll say it doesn't take long, I had two that have been sitting around dirty for longer than I care to admit. But 3 or 4 minutes and they are sparkling, if I can get the foaming issue solved it will be a true set it and forget it cleaner. I'm so glad I decided to build it. Still working on accessories, line cleaners and what not. But this makes cleaning kegs really easy! If you decide to put one of these together you won't regret it.

I use the oxi/tsp90/7thGen formula, (PBW clone), at 1 scoop per gallon and get very little foam. The 7thGen dishwashing detergent component may be the difference.

I'm definitely gonna give this a try. Thanks for the tip.

ButcherBoy said:
Still working on accessories, line cleaners and what not. But this makes cleaning kegs really easy! If you decide to put one of these together you won't regret it.

I use threaded connections for my liquid lines on my kegs so when I want to clean the lines in my kegerator I 'daisy chain' all the lines so I can clean all the lines at the same time. I have 6 taps so I did have to buy 2 barrel connectors (I had some extra silicone hose pieces to slip over the faucet spouts). Before this change I was cleaning the line only on the keg I was changing. With this change I end up cleaning all the lines more frequently. I just set it up and let it run for about 30 minutes (another set and forget cleaning solution) then dump the solution and put water in and let that run for a while.

The pics were there a few days ago... help!

Need some pics.

For the keg lines, I saw a pic maybe related build for the MFL 1/4 looked like someone tapped a PVC cap....

I use mostly PinLock with a scattered ball lock setup.

For keg lines you could definitely put in the same BFL adapters that you would use on your kegerator lines for swapping out the QDs. If you use the tubing indicated in the list though you will most likely need a clamp of some sort to make it a tighter connection.

the OP was last active just yesterday, so he may be willing to reup them for us.

OP- hosting then on HBT or imgur should bypass any image bandwidth issues. PM me if you want my email and I can get them up for you tonight if you need a hand.

I have made one small change in how I use the system to clean my kegerator tap lines. I now 'daisy chain' the lines together so I can clean all the lines at the same time. I use threaded connectors on all my ball lock connectors so it's really easy to do.

Materials needed (for 6 taps)
3 - double barrel connectors
2 short pieces of silicon hose
2 longer pieces of silicon hose

Steps:
Slide silicon hose onto to tap 1 and put other end into bucket. Disconnect ball lock connector for tap 1 and unscrew the line and attach a flare barrel connector. Disconnect ball lock connector for tap 2 and connect the line to the other end of the barrel. I use a short piece of silicon tubing to connect faucet 2 to faucet 3. I connect the tap 3 line to the tap 4 line with another barrel connector. Short piece of silicon hose connects faucet 4 to faucet 5. Barrel to connect line 5 and line 6. Piece of silicon hose slid on faucet 6 with other end going to manifold.

It seems like a lot but it's pretty fast to connect everything together.

With this set up I can clean as few or as many lines as I want at the same time.

I have been cleaning all of my lines every time I change out a keg since it's pretty easy to do now.

My description might be a little confusing so I'll try to remember to post some pics the next time I have everything hooked up.

Thanks raysmithtx for the detailed build and photos. I based mine almost entirely on your build. It works great and really cuts down on cleaning labor.

One thing, the parts list call for 1" pvc and fittings. 3/4 pvc appears adequate and is less expensive. That is what I used. Here are pics of mine.

Note that I only use an extra quick disconnect for the keg gas post. Since I currently use picnic taps, I just slip the bare hose over the picnic tap to clean the line, post and dip tube.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1424047818.523219.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1424047843.089406.jpg

One thing, the parts list call for 1" pvc and fittings. 3/4 pvc appears adequate and is less expensive. That is what I used.

I know I have a tendency to 'over build' on everything I do. Glad to know that your system is working. It really does take the chore out of cleaning equipment.

Yesterday I tried the 'homemade' PBW and it worked great. It does not foam as much as regular PBW and it rinses much much easier than oxiclean alone. Anyone building the Scrubmaster should consider the homemade PBW.

OK, here is my Spray Master 6K

I can clean kegs, Carboys, buckets, and keg lines. My buckets have a spigot in them, I use them for primary, I have it setup to allow me to completely wash and flush the bucket AND spigot.

The pump is the Hydrostar Harbor Freight 290 Gal pump (~$15) (Already had this as well as most of the PVC. (FYI everything is now snug fit with minimal tape and no leaks.)

The keg post washing AND bucket spigot rinse use the same valve, I just swap the lines out. The keg QDs are on MFL connections and can be quickly swapped for ball lock QDs.

20150222_212013[1].jpg

20150222_212035[1].jpg

For my vessel, I used an LME barrel. One of my LHBS gives them away. I simply cut it somewhat in half. Flipped the top over and it nests inside the lower portion snugly and provides support to keep my carboys from falling.

20150222_212114[1].jpg

20150222_212212[1].jpg

Here you can see how they can nest by the side view of the lid.
20150222_212310[1].jpg

I'm going to make one of these.... got my pump today (the one in the original post) I also hope to adapt it to be a recirculation pump for my wort chiller; we'll see how that works out.

(Thanks to recent poster who mentioned using 3/4 inch PVC; I'm sure I'll go that way, but I'm also sure it will mean an extra hour at Lowes.... Thanks alot!)

So I want to create a cleaner for my sanke fermenter, corney kegs, buckets, carboys, and a recirc pump for my immersion wort chiller..... I'll try to post any modifications I come up with to help others out.

I had some issues when ordering from the first post parts list. It was probably my fault, or I mis entered part numbers but ended up short some parts and others did not appear to fit together correctly. After a few more trips, I decided to go for 3/4 as per the suggestion and am only missing the shut off valves. I am considering changing out the keg post adapter part for one that I can just attach to the keg lines where the QD's screw in. Then again, maybe I should just make a second one of them so I can have both.

I diluted the Oxi and will try much less the next time. But I'll say it doesn't take long, I had two that have been sitting around dirty for longer than I care to admit. But 3 or 4 minutes and they are sparkling, if I can get the foaming issue solved it will be a true set it and forget it cleaner. I'm so glad I decided to build it. Still working on accessories, line cleaners and what not. But this makes cleaning kegs really easy! If you decide to put one of these together you won't regret it.

Found that the Oxi I was using was scented, obtained unscented at Dollar General and no more foaming issues. THIS THING IS GREAT!!! If you're looking for a great way to clean and sanitize kegs, bucket fermenters, carboys, even bottles with a bottle cleaner added. (Look on other threads for a bottle cleaner adaption) THIS IS what you want, for under $100 you can clean much of your equipment easily and efficiently. Modify it to meet your needs and equipment, you won't be sorry!

Latest posts

Back