Screwys vanilla oatmeal stout.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahaley

Reaction score
Hey guys, I brewed this on 4/25/12 and it's been in the primary since then. I'm thinking about adding in my vanilla beans x2 on Wednesday or so. Ive read many great tips here, so let me shout out to everyone and say thank you so much for helping me with these questions!

So now for business, I'm thinking about soaking the vanilla beans in some rum for about 15 minutes to sanitize them, though I'll clean them with water before that, people say the alcohol with sanitize them, so that's my plan. After soaking I will slice them open and drop them into my secondary then rack the wort from the primary ink the secondary so its going over the beans.

Now for the questions!

Should I take a gravity reading before or after racking?

In thinking I'll let it sit in the secondary for about 2 weeks at least then bottle. Yay / nay?

If you guys find any flaws in the please let me know and I'll try to fix them so I don't ruin anything ;p

Also I posted the recipe and everything on another on of my threads if you guys want it pm me or find my other thread.

Brew on! :)

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, take a gravity reading BEFORE racking to verify fermentation has completed, you should have the same reading over two samples over a couple days
2.If you want to use a secondary it will help clear up the beer a bit and if you want to add the vanilla beans you need to figure out how long for flavor. The flavor of vanilla will degrade over time so you should try and add them up to the point of bottling. In other words, if you can't bottle for 2 weeks but want to do the beans for 7 days then add the beans at the second week so you are bottling/kegging when that 7 days is up.
3. Your plan sounds fine, just be sure you are practicing good sanitizing with the secondary and the beans
4. let us know how it turns out.

I usually just lightly starsan my knife, cutting board, and beans. Then split scrape and drop everything in the bottom rack on top and you're done for a bit. There is no magic time for anything beer related so after a little while start taking little samples. When it's to your liking bottle/keg.

Awesome thanks, I'll take the gravity at some point soon when I can.
Do you suggest the secondary with vanilla beans on bottom while I rack over them or do you think dropping them into the primary will do the same thing?im not too worried about how clear my beer is as long as it tastes good.

Awesome thanks, I'll take the gravity at some point soon when I can.
Do you suggest the secondary with vanilla beans on bottom while I rack over them or do you think dropping them into the primary will do the same thing?im not too worried about how clear my beer is as long as it tastes good.

Doesn't really matter.........

Alright thanks bud! I'll let everyone know how well it comes out

Back