Screwed up ordering malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveDiedDancing

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Dopplebock next weekend. I am used to ordering malt by the pound but found a website where you can enter your actual recipe in and they combine the grain for you. I was in a rush, didn't realize this and ordered too much malt. My basic original recipe for 6.75 gallons was:

14.75 lb Munich light
4.2 lb Pilsner
2.1 lb caramunich

Ibu: 24
OG: 1.086

I actually ordered (all combined):

15 lbs. Munich
5 lbs Pilsner
3 lbs Caramunich

My plan is to just up the post boil volume to 7.5 gallons while making sure the IBUs are the same. I would ferment the extra wort separately and perhaps make an eisbock.

Does this sound reasonable or is my recipe FUBAR? I know it won't be the same beer bit my hope is it will still be good.

Thank you all in advance

What's wrong with a little higher ABV? Just use it all with your original volume.

Yeah I totally agree! The only real thing you are adding extra to even talk about really is the Caramunich. I wouldn't worry about it. Mash a tad lower temp than you normally do and call it a day. Atleast that is what I would do.

Cheers
Jay

Yeah I totally agree! The only real thing you are adding extra to even talk about really is the Caramunich. I wouldn't worry about it. Mash a tad lower temp than you normally do and call it a day. Atleast that is what I would do.

Cheers
Jay
Thanks guys. That's what I will do then. The OG will be about 1.093 or so (I don't have my notes in front of me). I'll just adjust my IBUs accordingly.

Those sites round up, because they don't sell partial pounds. Its not really a screw up on your part. I've done that before, and usually weigh out what I need, vacu seal what I don't. That way I already have the specialty grains I need for the next brew. But it never hurts to make the needed ibu adjustments and use it all.

Brew as normal, then pull off your excess at the end of the boil, dilute it, and make a couple gallons of session beer.

That is a good reason to not order your grains mixed in one bag. Better yet, get a mill and crush the grain yourself.

I too say brew it as is. But if you want to experiment this is a great opportunity!

Back