screw top bottles with fresh screws

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooney

Reaction score
I went to a local winery 2 weeks ago and saw what sort of stuff they do to make their wine. They do country style wines and being in the Scottish soft fruit growing lands mostly Strawberry and Elderberry wine. Anyway saw their bottling plant and what they use for sealing their screw tops was an amazing machine which presses the blank top on to the glass threads sealing it and making the threads in the cap for unscrewing it. I was wondering if any one knows of a home brew alternative to a machine like this to reuse screw bottles but with new caps or is it just industrial machines that can do this?

Sorry moony, those Stelvin style screw caps are only done by the big machines. However, there are types of screwcaps that do exist for those screwtop bottles to be reused, but they don't seal as reliably as corks.

You can buy 16 oz. PET bottles and replacement caps. I've used them over and over with no problems holding highly carbonated beer.

I have actually found the sort of thing I was thinking of

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/598562760.html?tracelog=storedetail2mobilesitedetail

Dunno if I could get one in the uk at that price but it's not so bad a price considering the price of a floor corker and screw top bottles are alot more common so easy to get a hold of. Ether way I need a reliable way to seal bottles and this might be an option.

Never seen that machine before, but it looks right to do what you want with the Stelvin caps. Just fyi, a floor corker shouldn't cost you more than 75 $ and corks are 10 to 15cents each. I'm not sure what the Stelvin caps might cost you.

My brother in law and I have an arraignment with a local Italian restaurant where we get their green wine and champagne bottles for nothing. (It saves them on their garbage bill) Maybe you could find a local restaurant to do the same?

Let me know what the price breakdown ends up being if you look further into it. Knowledge is power. :)

My wife was a chef so I was planning on doing the same thing with her old work as we still get on well with them. I'll let you know.

Back