Scratched bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjosborne

Reaction score
I purchased a bucket from Northern Brewer last January. I went to clean it finally to get a third batch going and it has a good gouge all the way around from the bottom of another bucket while they were stacked. Will this be safe to use?

Unfortunately, there's only one way to find out if it's infected ... I wouldn't risk it.

Our local Walmart sells food grade buckets for $5. If you wanted something now I'd try and find a food grade bucket.

That's kinda what I was thinking. I'm not in an extreme hurry, I wonder if Northern Brewer would do an exchange 7 months later. I'm not counting on it, but it would be nice.

I have smoothed out scratches with a propane torch. Kind if tricky to get just enough heat to melt the bad spot back down flat and not blow a hole in the side. I lay the bucket on its side with the scratch down on a flat surface for support. Heat until it flows back together, a leather glove can help with molding it down flat again...

Back