Scratch in Keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmkratt

Reaction score
Finally was able to obtain a decommissioned shell and removed the lid today, with a ton of help from Bobby's video/jig idea (thanks!).

However when I was sanding down the loose steel fragments on the lid to get rid of the sharp edges I slipped and accidentally brushed the side of the shell's interior about 2/3 of the way up as shown:

2mrrtzs.jpg

Now I am new to full boils and figure this will be about the 10 gallon areas of the keg so I am concerned I jacked it up!

I would be extremely appreciative of any comments or suggestions anyone would be able to provide.

I wouldn't worry about that scratch. You can use some Bar Keepers Friend and scrub the interior with it. That will help to repacify the steel. Besides it will be your Boil kettle right? You'll be fine.

Probably ruined. After installing the rest of the hardware, you should just ship it to me so it won't cause you any problems. ;)

I wouldn't worry about that scratch. You can use some Bar Keepers Friend and scrub the interior with it. That will help to repacify the steel. Besides it will be your Boil kettle right? You'll be fine.

Well that's exactly what I did. I appreciate the help.

I got confused after reading countless pages on keggles and just needed to be pointed in the right direction. Thank you guys!

Well that's exactly what I did. I appreciate the help.

I got confused after reading countless pages on keggles and just needed to be pointed in the right direction. Thank you guys!

No prob, PM me and I'll give you my address so you can ship it out.

Any bug that can live through an hour long boil could probably just eat a hole though the keggle.

;)

I would make sure to let it the steel repassivate. These folks keep mentioning bacterial growth but I'd be more concerned with the stainless steel losing it's... stainlessness. I know I wouldn't wanna be brewing rust beer.

I believe you can let the steel sit in open air for a week or two for it to passivate. I know there are ways to passivate it faster. I think in industry, they use an acid bath.

I'll second what was already said - A good scrub with some Bar Keepers Friend (BKF) will go a long way to help re-passivate the stainless.

I had some issues with excessive heat due to welding on one kettle, did the BKF treatment a few times and bam, no more rust issues to stay on top of. And it's got to be one of the best cleaners out there too, the stuff works!

Quan - I see you're in Bellingham too, Hardware sales and Cash & Carry both stock BKF.

Excellent! I will just let her sit and repassivate for a while and then dive in. I have to wait for my burner anyhow.

Thanks everyone.

Back