Scratch built kegerator/keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been waffling over which freezer to buy for a keezer, but with a torn rotator cuff the lift-over height is a problem for me. I have seen ferm chambers built from scratch with guts from a mini-fridge for cooling, and wondered if anyone has scratch-built a kegerator/keezer for serving beer?

I have two design directions in mind; the first would be a low-profile wall hugging chamber that can hold 3-4 ball lock cornies, with front access hatch, the finished unit protruding only ~15" from the wall with a tap tower on top, the other direction would likewise front-load, and accomodate two rows of 4 kegs so that serving kegs and cold-conditioning kegs could share a space, taps on front or top. Both assume the compressor, condenser, Temp controller, CO2 tank, etc, would be externally arranged to not impinge on the interior layout. Is this a thing?

Why not build a keezer and have some sort of hoist above it? Otherwise what you describe is called a fridge. ;)

Why not build a keezer and have some sort of hoist above it? Otherwise what you describe is called a fridge. ;)
Nah. I'm not interested in standard refrigerator form factors. I'm hoping to build something that blends into typical living room decor a bit better than an old upright or even a keezer.

Edit: ceiling hoist in the living room? You obviously aren't married.

Jayjay, I get what you are considering.

If: The volume of your structure is similar to the donor unit.

If: Your insulation is as good or better.

If: You provide for air circulation, since you are going from a vertical to a horizontal layout.

If: You can deal with the inevitable condensation problem.

Then you should be able to make it look any way you want. Seems doable to me.

Thanks for the feedback! Where does the condensation come from? Would one of those moisture absorbing units handle it? The type that you plug in periodically to refresh the crystals? See, constant condensation problems would likely kill it for me, my wife is super paranoid about leaks or spills causing mold.

I don't know how things are where you live, but down here we call it "air you can wear". Even with ac, the indoor humidity gets high enough to cause condensation in the minifridge where I keep beer. If you don't see it in your refrigerator, it may not be an issue for you. I was just trying to think of every factor you might need to consider. If I wasn't so durn lazy, I'd try something like this myself.

I just automatically assume basement as that's where all my beer stuff is. I am married, and pushed the limits with just having a keezer. In the living room would have been a little too much.

Look thru the kegarator threads, some people do some really nice things with a fridge, to the point that they look like pieces of furniture.

My thought was, if people are scratch building fermentation/lagering chambers tailored to exactly suit their needs, could a serving chamber with taps be scratch built as well? I'm really interested in front loading, elevated off the floor on short feet, with internal dimensions sized to fit exactly the desired number of serving kegs. Wouldnt be much different than a commercial chiller but DIY. I'm certain it's been done, just looking for a build log or photos.

An ice box is nothing dramatically complicated if you aren't afraid of cabinetry. Browsing a boat maker forum can get you some tips if you're thinking to build with individual components rather than the guts from a fridge. Could even get a kit: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/isot...efrigeration-system-kit--14995450?recordNum=1

Rigid foam insulation will be useful, I prefer the metal lined. Then seal all the seams with the metal tape. Good weather sealing will help keep the moisture at bay. A continuous fan inside will keep the temperatures even and any moisture moving. Then use an Eva dry to keep it dry.

You could also get creative with cooling. You could maintain a chest freezer in the basement with 0f glycol and recirculate that through a radiator in the back of the cabinet and blow a fan across it. Just need to keep the run of tubing very well sealed and insulated.

Nah. I'm not interested in standard refrigerator form factors. I'm hoping to build something that blends into typical living room decor a bit better than an old upright or even a keezer.

Is the Wife's rotator cuff O K ?

Ha Ha! Now that's funny!

I've been thinking about this, I have three under-bar refrigerators that I want to build into one big one so I can have four or five kegs on tap. I don't know when I will actually start on it, but I'll be sure to post pics. I figure I'll strip them out starting with the one that doesn't work, cut the sides out, weld together, the refit the cooling systems.

I've been thinking about this, I have three under-bar refrigerators that I want to build into one big one so I can have four or five kegs on tap. I don't know when I will actually start on it, but I'll be sure to post pics. I figure I'll strip them out starting with the one that doesn't work, cut the sides out, weld together, the refit the cooling systems.
That's a cool idea, be sure to post some pics as you go!

I kind of did that... with out all the taking them apart stuff, lol
bar.jpg

Two kegerators and one fridge under there

Back