Scottish Wee Heavy Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudz_Makenzie

Reaction score
I have a Wee Heavy that has been sitting in the secondary for two months and am about ready to bottle and age. Should I pitch more yeast or just add priming sugar to the bottling bucket?
Thoughts?

I have a Wee Heavy that has been sitting in the secondary for two months and am about ready to bottle and age. Should I pitch more yeast or just add priming sugar to the bottling bucket?
Thoughts?

Two months in secondary? How long was primary, 8-14 days? Seems a bit long for fermentation unless you crafted a really strong, heavy beer like a barley wine. The longest I've ever let a Wee Heavy go in fermentation was 28 days. I'm not sure what would be gained by adding additional yeast after 2 months in secondary. However, priming sugar would be need for carbonation.

Thanks.
Brewed on 4/20 ... OG 1.094 , fermented at 15*C with hydrated Notty.
Moved to secondary on 5/18 and 65*F ... SG 1.024.
there is approximately 1/2" of trub/yeast in the bottom of the 5 gal carboy.
Have not taken another SG reading and probably won't until I bottle in a few days.
I plan to age this beer at 70~75 until next April when my Son gets married.

I would recommend a little us-04 when bottling it certainty isn't going to hurt,better safe than sorry. I had my wee heavy in the secondary for 2 months on oak, won fist place in a local contest

I did one we left bulk aging for 7 months. Pitched champagne yeast when bottling for safe measure and it carbed up nicely in a month or so. Champagne yeast can tolerate the high alcohol levels well without changing the flavor (a tip I learned here on HBT). Turned out great.

I would recommend a little us-04 when bottling it certainty isn't going to hurt,better safe than sorry. I had my wee heavy in the secondary for 2 months on oak, won fist place in a local contest

Congrats:mug: So ... use this in conjunction with priming sugar or no?
Don't want any bottle bombs! 1/2 packet of yeast?

Yes add some yeast like 1/3 packet to the beer in bottling bucket then add your priming sugar as usual!

I'm a bit confused. Is the recommendation to add a small amount of yeast at bottling time? The op just spent 2 months cleaning the beer in secondary. Wouldn't the new yeast not only carb but also bring in many off flavors if the wee heavy is not conditioned at lower temps to manage the growth of yeast (if enough sugar in the beer still exists)? Wouldn't it be a safer bet to add just sugar at bottling and let whatever yeast is still left do the carbing?

I'm a bit confused. Is the recommendation to add a small amount of yeast at bottling time? The op just spent 2 months cleaning the beer in secondary. Wouldn't the new yeast not only carb but also bring in many off flavors if the wee heavy is not conditioned at lower temps to manage the growth of yeast (if enough sugar in the beer still exists)? Wouldn't it be a safer bet to add just sugar at bottling and let whatever yeast is still left do the carbing?

The flavor contribution of champagne yeast is non existent in the context of bottle conditioning. It also cannot ferment maltose so the chances of bottle bombs is negligible.

Update: Used 2/3 cup priming sugar in 2 cups water and no additional yeast.
Bottled on 7/20 and just cracked one open on 9/9. The carbonation on this one was just right for this style and tasted amazing! Now I must exercise extreme self-control to stay out of it until next April!:rockin:

Update: Used 2/3 cup priming sugar in 2 cups water and no additional yeast.
Bottled on 7/20 and just cracked one open on 9/9. The carbonation on this one was just right for this style and tasted amazing! Now I must exercise extreme self-control to stay out of it until next April!:rockin:

Toldja!! :D

Back