Scottish ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henson

Reaction score
I hope someone can give me some good advice. Two weeks ago I brewed a Scot Wee Heavy and a smaller Scottish Ale. They have both been in primary for 14 days. Does anyone have an opinion on how long to secondary and how long to leave each in the keg before carbing.

If you've fermented cleanly, that is nice cool temps, pitched plenty of yeast (used a starter for correct pitching rates: see mrmalty.com), and oxygenated your wort well, I would say that all you need is 3-5 days after FG is reached for a bit of cleaning up by the yeast. I personally don't do secondary on my beers, like many folks here, unless they're getting dry hopped or oaked/fruited. That's a matter of personal preference, but it certainly isn't necessary.

If your beer has any off flavors, I would leave it on the yeast until they're gone. No secondary should be needed. Once it's in the keg you should carb right away, no need to wait once it's packaged.

Back