Scottish ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrock430

Reaction score
No real question here, just want to share that after 12 days @ 50-55*F, my wee heavy has moved from 1.098 to 1.070. Pitched 6L of starter, aerated fine...just crazy that it's only knocked off that little sugar during almost two weeks.

Moved it to a 62*F room, will let you know how this sorts out.

BTW, I would plan on giving a wee heavy plenty of time in primary vessel. 2-3 months wouldn't be a bad idea. If you're going to bottle, then do so. I've had mine aging on oak for several months now. Getting ready to keg and carbonate it. :D

Average fermentation temp was 56 for this, probably around 52 for the first three days. First time using this strain, I typically shoot for the colder side of most yeast lab guidelines.

After the overnight move, there is definitely a thicker krausen and faster bubbles. I'm planning on a six week primary and another 6 week secondary before bottling.

Oak is a good thought, but I have an oaked barleywine that is just coming into its own and an oaked RIS that is getting bottled in a month. If it doesn't get into the 1.020's then I may just do that to cut the sweetness.

I'm planning on using this strain for a RIS this month and it is good to hear of your experiences. One reason I want to use it is that in South Texas my biggest problem is keeping down the heat--even in winter, or what we call winter down here. This strain works at the usual range I am able to keep.

Now that things have ticked back up (currently at 65), would it make sense to bring it back to 56*F....fermentation time less of a priority of mine vs. getting that smokey phenolic.

Never ended up moving out of that warmer room...took another gravity reading just now, 1.050. So about the same rate of fermentation. I've bumped up fermentation another 4*, but man is this one ever slow. I may have to go on a rousing schedule for this one.

Never ended up moving out of that warmer room...took another gravity reading just now, 1.050. So about the same rate of fermentation. I've bumped up fermentation another 4*, but man is this one ever slow. I may have to go on a rousing schedule for this one.

I just let mine go as it wished. Ended up finishing the brew at 12.5% (1.116 OG, 1.023 FG). :rockin:

If you want to scoot up for a taste, let me know. I have it in keg, on gas, and can slap a picnic tap on it to pull a glass, or two, from it. Got my 8.9% old ale in keg right next to it (also on gas)... :rockin:

Was it the Wyeast or White Scottish yeast? I've run WY1728 at 50-55 many times with great results. The White Scottish likes it significantly warmer?

It's WY-1728, I'm getting the feeling that it's floc'ing out too quickly. I'll get a good krausen for a few days, brown top and all, and then it'll stop three days later. If I move it, it does it again...

Meanwhile, I'm drinking to 70/- that was the 2nd runnings and it's great...thanks for the offer for the sample

I pitched this yesterday into my own Wee Heavy and again into a parti-gyle 70/-. Both are bubbling away happily. It took me overnight to get the temps down. I have it in my garage here in South Texas and I brewed it yesterday wearing shorts--ugh! I can't remember where I found it, but I read that this strain should be kept in the low end of the range for the first 48 to 72 hours, according to the author this is the most active ester production phase, and then moved into its upper temperature range to finish out. This is the schedule I plan to try for mine.

I wouldn't ferment this yeast at 69F, if I'm doing the math correctly. You're going to get quite a few esters at that temp, if that's what you're looking for, but if not, then I'd bump it back down and be patient. I brewed a Wee Heavy in May and we only began drinking it about a month ago.

To clarify, I used the White Labs version, the Edinburgh yeast, not the Wyeast version.

It's at 68 now, but the fermentation is pretty far along (hoping to get to 1.026 if I'm lucky)...surely higher temps for the last 24 points of gravity isn't the end of the world, right? (I mean that question :))

I've used the Edinburgh strain to brew an English style ESB and fermented in the high 60s to get more esters, and it didn't disappoint.

I'm currently @ 1.030 with this one, and there is thin layer of krausen, so I'm pretty confident I'll get to around where I wanted it to finish out. I'm going to let it sit until the new year then rack to a secondary @ 40 for two months.

Should I gelatin it, or just let it sit @ that temp? I had a stuck sparge (1st one) on this beer, and I'm afraid it may induce some chill haze. Is that typically the case?

I'm currently @ 1.030 with this one, and there is thin layer of krausen, so I'm pretty confident I'll get to around where I wanted it to finish out. I'm going to let it sit until the new year then rack to a secondary @ 40 for two months.

Should I gelatin it, or just let it sit @ that temp? I had a stuck sparge (1st one) on this beer, and I'm afraid it may induce some chill haze. Is that typically the case?

I would let it go until mid-January before doing anything with it (at all). IF you plan to age it on something that works best off the yeast, then rack. Otherwise, just leave it in primary for another month or two. 1728 is a high flocculation rated yeast, so you shouldn't need to use gelatin or anything like that. I've never needed to use it when giving it enough time.

Last batch I used it in (a 12.5% wee heavy) sat in primary for about 3 months (could have a bit longer, would have to check my notes). I then aged it on oak for about 8-9 months before pushing it into kegs. It's been carbonating in the low 50's for about two weeks now. So about time to pull a glass of it... If you want to come up for a taste, PM me. :D I got some other 'big-ish' brews that are either on tap or ready for sampling (over 8%). :D

I had a major stuck sparge this year (my first as well) that was so bad I had to dump out my MLT. I have that beer on tap and in bottles and it is very clear. I wouldn't worry about that aspect too much. Glad to hear the yeast is working out for you! I really like that one too and am considering picking some up for my winter brews as well.

Back