Scottish Ale fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callisbeers

Reaction score
I am currently fermenting a Scottish ale that had a starting gravity of 1.104. After 3 weeks it is down to 1.030, with a little activity left. The beer is still heavy and thick. Do I let it ferment longer, or transfer it to a secondary and add another yeast, or transfer it to a secondary and let it go?

What is your target FG? Have you taken any more readings to confirm that it is stalled out? I would let it sit until you have at least three days at the same gravity reading before bottling. I'd skip the secondary.

With the readings cited you are sitting at about a 69% attenuation and just under 10% ABV. Depending upon the yeast you used, this may be all you get out of it. At 1.104 SG, your Scotch Ale may be done at this gravity reading.

Didn't really have a target FG. This was the first time making a Scottish Ale. but I have never had a beer finish that high, usually 1.020 and lower. Wasn't sure how this would affect the flavor of the beer.

Just to put it into perspective, my Scotch Ale recipe starts at an OG of 1.086 and finishes at 1.022. Generally, the higher you go with the OG, the higher gravity your beer will finish. The yeast will only be able to ferment so much of the sugars, and each yeast has a different attenuation capability.

Much depends on the types of sugars you are creating/adding in your mash. In an all malt formula, you will generally finish higher than a formula with simple sugars added.

Warm it up to the high end of the yeast range if you can, gently swirl the yeast into suspension. That ought to get you at least a few more points.

Don't secondary it until you reach a desireable FG, or it is done. At that gravity, it might still taste fine...lots of flavors in such a beer.

So much goes into such a fermentation- rest temps, pitch volume, O2, yeast nutrition, temp of fermentation, it is a complex process brewing a huge beer.

If you're not planning to, save some for at least a year. I have a 1YO Wee Heavy in bottle right now, it was an extract, but is absolutely fantastic. I think it has "room" to age at least another year, it's still rather fresh tasting.

Best of luck.

Back