Scottish Ale Bru'n Water help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

str1p3s

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm brewing up a scottish ale tomorrow based on MadTree Thundersnow (Local to Cincinnati, delicious!). I'm having trouble with the water and I'm afraid I'm adding too much baking soda to get the pH up.

I had to substitute special b for extra special malt and chocolate for dark chocolate in the recipe I got from MadTree's website based on what was available.

Grain bill, 5.5 gallons:
11 lb 5 oz 2 Row Pale Malt Base Malt 2L
1 lb 2oz crystal 90 Crystal Malt 90L
13oz special b Crystal Malt 180L
13 oz victory Crystal Malt 25L
6 oz melanoiden Crystal Malt 20L
5 oz chocolate Roast Malt 350L
5 oz chocolate rye Roast Malt 250L

additions to distilled water:

.65 grams/gal Gypsum (5.6g total)
.6 grams/gal Calcium Chloride (3.1g total)
1.35 grams/gal baking soda (6.4g total (mash only))

bru'n water says the pH will be 5.33 but it puts the bicarbonates at 259 and sodium at 98 which I'm reading could be too high.

I've read that darker beer should have a higher pH closer to 5.5 also so I'm kind of stumped.

Should I roll with this? Go with a lower pH? Use more baking soda and some lactic to get the pH to 5.5 and lower bicarbonates?

Anyone have any input/advice?

Which version of Bru'n Water are you using? The supporter's version shows you both the ion concentrations in the mash and the kettle. When using an addition like baking soda in the mash, the sodium concentration may be high in the mash, but is diluted to more modest levels in the kettle by the sparge addition. So, the sodium content is probably not too bad.

That grist does has a significant percentage of crystal and roast grains. I'm not very surprised with the low pH result and the need for added alkalinity.

Thanks for the response! I guess I'm just going to roll with it and make adjustments next time if I don't like how it turns out.

I'm still getting my feet wet in water chemistry but I will be looking into upgrading to the supporter version at some point. My beers have gotten significantly better since using your program. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back