Scotch Ale Recipe Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHairyHop

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I made an Old Chub clone following the recipe in this thread

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/oskar-blues-old-chub-clone-byo-303487/

and it came out nice. I like it a lot, but I'd like the fiddle with it. I'd like it to be a bit nuttier, maltier and more alcoholic. With more malt and alcohol I guess I'll need a few more IBUs, but then again (in retrospect) 35 seems a bit high for a Scotch-esque beer.

This is what I have so far

New Chub
5.25 gallon batch
OG 1.095
FG 1.024
IBU 40
SRM 24.13
ABV 9.32%

15lb north american 2-row
18 oz English dark Crystal
12 oz Munich Dark
3.5 oz English chocolate malt
6 oz Special B
4.5 oz Weyermann smoked malt
12 oz Special Roast

40 IBUs coming from somewhere

Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale 70F

Mash @ 155 1 hour
90 minute boil

What do you all think? I've never used Special Roast, but it seems to fit the bill. It bothers me that I have 7 malts, it seems like 1 too many. What flavors do you think will be lost in the mix? Also, what are you opinions on the IBU/Alcohol/Specialty Malt ratio?

Thanks guys :mug:

If you are looking for nuttier and maltier, then I would take out the American 2 row and go with an English base malt. Golden Promise or Marris Otter.

You know, I tried MO in some smashes and I really didn't like the bready flavor that came through. It was kind of sharp and tasted like brown wheat bread on the tip of my tongue. I still might consider it. Never fooled around with Golden Promise though

Personally I find it hard to beat MO for any UK styles. I use it for scotch ales, stouts, porters, and bitters. I have subbed in US 2 row when the LHBS was out of MO, but it never seems to be quite the same. I can't explain why?

40 IBUs is on the high side for the style, but with the high alcohol content and maltiness you are going for, it shouldn't stand out.

MO will blend well with the other flavors and fill out the malt profile. I like Target or East Kent Goldings for bittering my Scotch Heavy. I think the 40 IBU is a bit on the bitter side. Remember that this is a malt dominant style. I also like a cleaner finishing yeast like WY1056 and up the mash temp to between 158 and 156 to give the sweetness from the longer chain sugars.

I'd also switch to peat smoked malt and cut the amount by about 30%. I want just the hint of peat in the aroma and aftertaste, and it tends to dominate. Other smoked flavors really don't cut it well, IMHO.

MO will blend well with the other flavors and fill out the malt profile. I like Target or East Kent Goldings for bittering my Scotch Heavy. I think the 40 IBU is a bit on the bitter side. Remember that this is a malt dominant style. I also like a cleaner finishing yeast like WY1056 and up the mash temp to between 158 and 156 to give the sweetness from the longer chain sugars.

I'd also switch to peat smoked malt and cut the amount by about 30%. I want just the hint of peat in the aroma and aftertaste, and it tends to dominate. Other smoked flavors really don't cut it well, IMHO.

I was thinking peated malt but I heard it can get over powering. I was going for 2.75 Oz of peat and no smoked. Do you use peat often.? I don't want smoke to be a dominant flavor

I use WLP 1728 and never add peated malt. I ferment on the low end of the scale and let the yeast provide the smoke flavor. I use East Kent for bittering with some Fuggles for flavor. Though I haven't done it with a Heavy, I've used Heather to finish a Scottish 80/- and it turned out quite nice.

I was thinking peated malt but I heard it can get over powering. I was going for 2.75 Oz of peat and no smoked. Do you use peat often.? I don't want smoke to be a dominant flavor

I've used peated malt in several brews. You need to be very careful with it, as it can easily overpower the other flavors. I've really only used it in the Scotch/Scottish styles and just enough to give it a faint odor/flavor that you really have to look for to identify fully.

The other learning in using the peated malt was to use it only in ales that I am planning on sitting on for a while to allow the flavors to blend and mature. In my recipes for the lower shilling scottish ales, which I brew as session beers, I don't use the peated malt at all any more.

I made this the other month. It's been aging in various stages for about 2 months. The first time I tasted it, holy hell! Loads of hot alcohol, raisins, fermented currants, etc. At this point, it's really calmed down. Could be aged longer, but it's good enough to start drinking. :drunk:

Back