scorchy!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rflach1

Reaction score
ok....i've just finished brewing my third extract beer and again it is very dark. so far i've tried american light ale, belgian wit beer, and a lemon heff. the first two turned out darker than i expected them to be....a lot darker. the last beer i paid attention to the wort as i was boiling my bittering hops and it gradually got darker and darker. i'm sure there is some scorching going on. i try to stir it as much as possible, but as opposed to coninuously stirring for 60min straight, are there any suggestions to preventing this darkening of my beer. i use a stainless steel pot and cook on a gas stove. thanks.

add the extract near the end of the boil. you only need to boil it for 10 or 15 minutes to sanitize. The boil is mainly for getting the alpha acids out of your hops.

EDIT: I don't think you are scorching anything... the sugars just caramelize a lilttle and get darker. You can also tyy using dry malt extract instead of liquid. DME can produce MUCH lighter colored beers.

-walker

Back