Schwarzbier recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgallo

Instagram: bantam_brews
Reaction score
Just looking for some advise from those who’ve brewed some black lager. I’ve never brewed one but researched quiet a bit on the origins and style guidelines of schwarzbier and came up with this. Feel free to critique;

8lbs - German Pilsner
2lbs - light Munich
1lb. - dark Munich (11-16L)
.5lb - Chocolate wheat
.5lb - Carafa II

34/70

35 ibus of from 3 oz of Hallertau Mi.

Looks like it would be a great beer! However if you're targeting a more traditional Schwarzbier, I would recommend skipping the Chocolate Wheat and target lower IBUs, in the 20-25 range. Make sure to use Carafa Special II since it's huskless and won't lend any harshness to the roast. A small amount of finishing hops would be fine if desired. That's really close to my first Schwarz which turned out to be pretty good. Good Luck!

agree with jswillbrewforbeer on the chocolate wheat and IBUs. I would further simplify the grist bill by eliminating the the light Munich and replacing with more pilsner malt. A half-pound of the Carafa II should be enough at 4% of the grain to get a dark enough color. You really don't have to worry about huskless Carafa if you already have the standard Carafa on hand.

Thanks for the responses. I’ll drop the ibus a touch. I was planning for using chocolate wheat because I like what it brings to dark beers. Maybe I’ll just cut it back a tad.

If you’re trying to make a light beer that’s black then that’ll work. If you want something rich and toasty but light and easy drinking then a new grist would appropriate.

Either way I find that s189 a better choice for dark. Ferments warm or cold. 34/70 works too, but 189 just seems to hold the rich flavor better. Ymmv.

If you’re trying to make a light beer that’s black then that’ll work. If you want something rich and toasty but light and easy drinking then a new grist would appropriate.

Either way I find that s189 a better choice for dark. Ferments warm or cold. 34/70 works too, but 189 just seems to hold the rich flavor better. Ymmv.
Yeah I’m def trying to make it just slightly Roasty. My interpretation of the style guidelines seems like it’s practically a black Pilsner with a touch of roast

Exactly. I’m not a fan. Black/cascadian IPAs either.

I tried dozens and dozens in Berlin, south to Munich, in Prague, Budapest. Never came to what my brain wanted it to be, just pilsners with some carafa. So we made an entirely new version. Doesn’t fit any guidelines or follow tradition, but folks love it. Thought about giving it a different name, but probably more trouble than it’s worth unfortunately.

there used to be a clone recipe floating around of Sam Adams black which is pretty good. Two row, Munich and special carafa. Traditional but better than the rest in my opinion.

Do you have a BYO subscription? There is a 1554 clone recipe there if you do. https://byo.com/recipe/new-belgium-brewing-company-1554-black-lager-clone/
I
don’t have a subscription but would love to see that recipe. I tried to develop my own recipe using the limited amount of info from New Belgium’s website but it wasn’t quite the same. There also seems to be quite a debate about what kind of beer 1554 actually is.

Do you have a BYO subscription? There is a 1554 clone recipe there if you do. https://byo.com/recipe/new-belgium-brewing-company-1554-black-lager-clone/
I don’t have a subscription but would love to see that recipe. I tried to develop my own recipe using the limited amount of info from New Belgium’s website but it wasn’t quite the same. There also seems to be quite a debate about what kind of beer 1554 actually is.
I did look into that beer at first and found this when I was doing research. It may help you. It’s a direct email from a brewer at New Belgium to a HB who asked about cloning

https://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewin..._source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

I did look into that beer at first and found this when I was doing research. It may help you. It’s a direct email from a brewer at New Belgium to a HB who asked about cloning

https://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewin..._source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

I’ve seen that email and those ingredients are completely different than what is currently on New Belgium’s website. They list — Pale, Carapils, Black, Munich, Chocolate as their grains for 6.0% ABV, Nugget hops to 21 IBUs and lager yeast

Update: So heres the finished product. I’m pretty happy with how it came out. Nice lite chocolate notes with a touch of Munich coming through. Mouthfeel and Foam formation are definitely the stand outs in this beer. I naturally carbonated it and even though it’s finishes crisp, it’s got a soft and slight creaminess from the tight bubbles
26E99200-ECFA-4BB6-8D92-3FF25AA44A65.jpeg

The more I see that pic the more I’m itching to try it. Are you willing to share the recipe you settled on?
So It was the same recipe I posted here on this thread but I dropped the chocolate wheat down to 0.25, upped the dark Munich to 2 lbs, and eliminated the light Munich

Last edited:
Back