Schell's Bockfest and Caramelizing your beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
So we went to the Schell's Bockfest Sat. Much like their octoberfest its an amazing event. Honestly their Bock was pretty darn good. Polka music and dancing by the Bock Boys. Brats and pretzels galore. But the really cool thing was they have these big fires and they take hot pokers out of the fire and plunge them into your beer. Weird right? But OMFG! ITS SO AWESOME!!! The beer foams up and becomes like the nitro head on a guineas in texture and mouthfeel but tastes a lot like toasted marshmallows! I did it with the bock and something called Mault's Ault and they both were soooo good. The beer that doesn't foam stays cold too. I'm going to get a habachi or something to do this at home.

http://schellsbrewery.com/events/02-bockfest/

IMG_20160206_123122.jpg

IMG_20160206_123010.jpg

IMG_20160206_123152.jpg

IMG_20160206_123800.jpg

IMG_20160206_123827.jpg

This year was my 17th Bockfest I attended. However this year I got to meet two brewers and they took me and my friends on a personal tour of the brewery. Super awesome, got to go all the way up on the roof and have a beer overlooking Bockfest. Got to see their original grain mill, new one, bottling line, cellar, etc.

They also had for a bit four of their flagship beers, but either aged various wood barrels or dry hopped. Super delicious.

When I get out of work I will post up some pics of the brewery.

Weird right? But OMFG! ITS SO AWESOME!!! The beer foams up and becomes like the nitro head on a guineas in texture and mouthfeel but tastes a lot like toasted marshmallows!
[/url]

Not weird or new.
We Germans call it Stachelbier.
What you call the poker is the Stachel.

Here are the pics I took from this year's Bockfest:

ayr6g1.jpg

dy290m.jpg

This is the old volume gauge for their fermentation vessel:

qs445v.jpg

This is the temperature gauge for the fermentation vessel (yes, paper!)

2qlev4g.jpg

o8gnll.jpg

Pic from the roof of the brewery:

5le3jl.jpg

Back