Scanners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ize

Reaction score
Does anyone else monitor one on a regular basis? (Other than for work) My SIL and BIL got us one 2 Christmases ago, and I have only the minimum of channels prgrammed into it, but I find myself getting addicted to it.

Ize

at time when I'm at work (oddly enuff) I'll listen to a live feed of the LVPD channels over at my other board . . . . but I still cant sit and listen to my own fire department channels all day

I'll listen to air traffic controll all day if ya let me . . . habit I picked up in my navy days, we used it for training. Listen to whats going on, keep it all straight in your head and try to make calls befor the controllers without the use of a radar or view from the tower

Pumbaa said:
I'll listen to air traffic controll all day if ya let me . . . habit I picked up in my navy days, we used it for training. Listen to whats going on, keep it all straight in your head and try to make calls befor the controllers without the use of a radar or view from the tower

Excellent training. Visualize the field in your head and work it out from there. :rockin:

This freaking scanner tho. Radio Crack makes the most useful manuals known to man when it comes to programming. :rolleyes: Fortunately, I found a dumbed down version online, because it pisses me off to be missing half the convo on the trunked channels. I can run audio from one end of the house to another but programming a scanner is apparently...

A bit of a challenge... :drunk:

But I'm reading by God! :rockin:

Ize

Lord Sterrock Hammerson 8 said:
Ize your avatar scares me.

:D

Bonzo scared the parents of many teens in the mid 70's who didn't understand that beating the crap out of drumskins was a much better alternative than beating the parents.

Besides, according to legend, he was a regular at his local pub, and for that alone he earned my lifelong respect.

Ize

Ize said:
:D

Bonzo scared the parents of many teens in the mid 70's who didn't understand that beating the crap out of drumskins was a much better alternative than beating the parents.

Besides, according to legend, he was a regular at his local pub, and for that alone he earned my lifelong respect.

Ize
Reminds me of that movie "A Clockwork Orange" dont know why just does. ;)

Lord Sterrock Hammerson 8 said:
Reminds me of that movie "A Clockwork Orange" dont know why just does. ;)

LOL! It was supposed to. I found the pic on the web at random, but I know that the opening sequence of "The Song Remains The Same" was inspired by "A Clockwork Orange". And for a period I know he played shows in coveralls and a bowler hat just like they wore in the film.

The boys apparently loved their Kubrick...

Ize

Because I have to monitor one all day for work (reporter), it's the last thing I want to hear when I'm home.

But there are times when I wish I had one at home to hear why there are sirens in the distance.

ill.literate said:
Because I have to monitor one all day for work (reporter),

awwwwwwwww man

/gets out his cross, holy water, and wooden stakes

remind me to be extra good around ill.literate . . . I've got a bad track record with reporters/cameramen at work
:drunk:

Sorry ill, but our department just got a mean wicked hatchet job from out local media AGAIN. I'll PM you the link

Got the link... I'll check it out when my early deadline passes :)

Truly, I'm not like most of the media vultures around, which has cost me in terms of advancement. But I'd rather have my integrity and my soul than a higher position, more stress and longer hours :)

Pumbaa said:
Also a great skill for a pilot to have - for when the controller is f***ing it away. I hear enough ATC on a semi-daily basis that I don't really feel the need to have a live feed in my off time, but Isee the value of it for someone in training. We used a UHF scanner in pilot training to do exactly what you're describing.

And to the OP - I'm not really much of a scanner guy...the things annoy me quite honestly.

Yuri_Rage said:
Also a great skill for a pilot to have - for when the controller is f***ing it away. I hear enough ATC on a semi-daily basis that I don't really feel the need to have a live feed in my off time, but Isee the value of it for someone in training. We used a UHF scanner in pilot training to do exactly what you're describing.

it's a lot more "fun" if you can get all the freqs at once so that they'll play over each other and not just jump around . . . imagine listening to 6 radios all playing different songs on at the same time.

Back in my Navy days I could listen to 15 freqs and upto 15 conversations at once durring a launch/recovery cycle sometimes I would also stand next to the door and try to keep track of what was going on in the next room so I could stay head of the game as well . . . and ya wonder why I used to drink 5 pots of coffee a day. . . and now my wife doesnt understand how I can sit around and not say a single word all day at times and dont like being in crowds
:mug:

Pumbaa said:
Back in my Navy days I could listen to 15 freqs and upto 15 conversations at once durring a launch/recovery cycle sometimes I would also stand next to the door and try to keep track of what was going on in the next room so I could stay head of the game as well.
...and I thought keeping up with 3 radios was a skill!

...of course it was 3 radios while airborne with at least one wingman in a close air support fight...

Yuri_Rage said:
...and I thought keeping up with 3 radios was a skill!

...of course it was 3 radios while airborne with at least one wingman in a close air support fight...

you never wondered why ATC spoke so fast? :D
and to be fair while while I was listening to all those freqs and conversations was when I was in a non controlling position but it was while I (an E-4 / E-5) was training the new Air Operations Officer (an O-5) who wouldnt qualify me after I signed he's qual because I was just an elisted guy

I thought this was going to be a thread about the awful 80's movie of mind control.

Pumbaa said:
I'm still not convinced that wasnt the original plan . . . thats why I post with the tin foil hat on :p

:p I thought about that flick after I started the thread. I forgot that it was a Cronenberg flick. It's been a long long time since I've seen it.

I think you'll be OK surfing the rest of HBT without the foil hat, just keep it handy for this thread. Ya never know. ;)

Ize

Ize said:
LOL! It was supposed to. I found the pic on the web at random, but I know that the opening sequence of "The Song Remains The Same" was inspired by "A Clockwork Orange". And for a period I know he played shows in coveralls and a bowler hat just like they wore in the film.
Ize
What no jock strap?

I wanted one of them when I was a kid, a couple of my uncles had them and I thought they were cool. I hadn't thought about them in a few years, but now that it's been brought up again, I wouldn't mind having one sometime.

Same thing for a CB radio.

i have a scanner that i only listen to on the weekends, especially when the weather is bad in the winter. we live in the middle of vermont ski country, and it seems like over 80 percent of the calls are about tourists from new jersey or connecticut who are doing double the speed limit, or rolled over their suv in an inch of snow! the staties seem to never pull over vermont drivers. the local fire department has to respond to sooo many calls about single vehicle accidents after a few snowflakes, all of them from out of state cars.

"i have an suv, therefore i can go 80 mph when they haven't plowed yet..." "why am i upside down in a ditch and people with vermont plates are honking and smiling when they go by?" too funny!

a scanner is the best entertainment you can buy. there was a call a few months ago about a young girl who threatened her family with a knife and then ran into the woods at 10 at night. and the guy at the local hospital who smuggled in drugs and shot up, after being admitted for wounds from a fight, then tried to break out and hide in the woods. local people can be the most entertaining of all. they get all crazy, and it's good to know if they are near my house, so i can sick my friendly little dog on them. way better than talk radio.

barrett

Latest posts

Back