Scaling down your operation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kharper6

Reaction score
Have you guys ever realized that you're in a bit over your head?

I just recently moved to a new area and unfortunately I don't have much of a social life yet and with my new job starting it looks like i won't have much of one ever.

I'm geared for 10 gallon recipes, which is just a joke at this point.

I've been considering sizing down to 3 gallon ball locks and just starting with 3 gallon batches. This would defeat my need for my huge kegerator and everything.

Anyone ever scaled down? Why? Were you glad?

I don't know how I can do full mash BIABs with a 16 gallon pot, but I guess it isn't out of the question.

You're starting a new job, yeah? New co-workers might really appreciate homebrewed beer. Which may make you some new good friends fast. You might have a use for that beer after all.

I hear you! I just did my first truly all grain 5 gal batch and ouch!! When I been batch sparging, I been sucking every ounce of sweetness out of my wort. Now with the doubling of grain, I just don't know. The workload seemed to triple.-was going to use another exclamation point, but. Oh well, I do hear you.

Have you guys ever realized that you're in a bit over your head?

I just recently moved to a new area and unfortunately I don't have much of a social life yet and with my new job starting it looks like i won't have much of one ever.

I'm geared for 10 gallon recipes, which is just a joke at this point.

I've been considering sizing down to 3 gallon ball locks and just starting with 3 gallon batches. This would defeat my need for my huge kegerator and everything.

Anyone ever scaled down? Why? Were you glad?

I don't know how I can do full mash BIABs with a 16 gallon pot, but I guess it isn't out of the question.

About a year ago I scaled down to 5 gal batches. The reason was that's about all my family and I need. It allows a bit more variety also. I scaled down because i had some so called friends that just kept wanting free beer. Finally, I told them no more. They disappeared and now I don't need to provide community beer, and no great loss.
Am I glad I scaled down? Oh, a big resounding YES! Even though I have 14 gal. conicals gathering dust, I am a happy Camper. Cheers.

You're starting a new job, yeah? New co-workers might really appreciate homebrewed beer. Which may make you some new good friends fast. You might have a use for that beer after all.

The line of work I am in, let's just say the coworkers go hard or go home, very stressful work. Beer probably won't cut it for them :drunk:

Good hearing from some of you. I don't know what I was thinking getting all of this stuff, I wish I had just stayed with my 5 gallon route. As you mentioned, the workload was SO easy. No heavy lifting, brew day finished up quick, really easy to get a perfect recipe going. This 10-12 gallon batch stuff is intense when you aren't splitting it with anyone.

Can't you just brew smaller batches on the same system? I do 5 and 10 gallon batches on my system. Just sayin'

I ended up with the best of both worlds, a 2.5 gallon EBIAG system and a 5/10 gallon system. I have 2.5 and 5 gallon kegs; the flexibility is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'd be inclined to use the 10g system and do a whole lot of batch splitting. Also makes for fewer brew days, fewer days of cleanup.

I readily admit that I'm a novice and probably couldn't tell you the difference between two identical batches split between Nottingham and US-05. Or was that S-04? Even so, probably any of the 3. This makes me very interested in comparison batches, switching a part of the equation or 2 to be able to compare the end result and predict future batches a little more effectively. This sways me decision.

I would go for the splitting batches. I have seen where people split after the boil and do different yeast and dry hopping. I have also seen where you split after the mash into different boil kettles. You can use different specialty grains in the pre-heating water similar to extract brewing for different color. It also sets you up for partigyle (sp?) brewing.

Back