Say No To Mr. Beer, The Gateway Drug To Homebrewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlester

Reaction score
I have to admit, I started with Mr. Beer. My first beer was bland and under carbonated. My friends all said it sucked. My bad, not Mr. Beer's fault, or was it?

I had no idea there was a big world of homebrewing supplies and equipment. It sucked me in like a black hole. I'm hooked and my wife wonders sometimes if I've lost my mind. However, after many years of homebrewing I realize Mr. Beer is not such a bad idea if your thinking about small batches. And, I've convinced my wife this is a good venture. It costs less to make good beer and I'm happy. A happy husband doesn't complain, and a wife without a complaining husband feels good about herself. It's a win-win, right?"

I win. And, so does Mr. Beer. So, my hat goes off to the under appreciated Mr. Beer.

Your Thoughts?

Mr. Beer.jpg

I think your thoughts are right on. Sort of wonder why you didn't post this on the MR Beer thread but also understand that thread is so old, who looks at it these days if they have a few batches under their belt? Esspecially if AG brewers. So quickly we forget.. :drunk:

Share my story if I may. Wasn't a Mr Beer kit, but similar, ~1993. My friend and I bought a no boil kit in ChristChurch New Zealand on our way down to a deployment in Antarctica.

The kit was no boil. Basically hot water, extract hopped LME, and a bag of DME. We heated the water in a 2 gallon percolating type coffee pot. Poured the hot water into a plastic carboy ( I know, wrong thing to do),
dumped in the DME, LME. Swirled it around to dissolve. I guess we cooled it, not sure, topped it off to reach 5 gallons, pitched the dry yeast; capped the carboy and stuck in an airlock using water as a barrier against the outside world.

We let it sit fermenting for 3-4 weeks. Temp was probaby to warm. Bottled it in 2 litre brown plastic bottles. ( we must have added some priming sugar somewhere along the line)

The bottles sat for another month carbonating. We were way to busy to worry about it.

Anyway, after 2 or maybe three months we tried the beer. Was better than anything that could be bought on the continent. Haha.

The beer was a Brown Ale, of sorts and tasted pretty dang good.

Best $10 fermentor in the world.

You can have great temperature control with a $15 cooler, lager using the same, cold-crash in your fridge, and the spigot makes racking to a bottling bucket hassle-free.

What's not to like?

Like many others, it was my intro to home brewing. Fortunately, before I used the kit, I stumbled on some info on another site that talked about the importance of good temp control and gave some other hints about how to doctor an MB kit to make a decent beer. That pretty well got me hooked. I still have the LBK and use it infrequently for experimental batches. It's a decent little 2.2-2.5 gallon fermenter.

The #1 thing I wish that Mr. Beer would change is their instructions. If a new brewer follows them to the letter, they're doomed to make beer that ranges from horrible to marginal.

The #1 thing I wish that Mr. Beer would change is their instructions. If a new brewer follows them to the letter, they're doomed to make beer that ranges from horrible to marginal.

As a fairly seasoned, how do I say this, knowledgeable but far from expert home brewer? I think your frustration BigFloyd, is the same gripe most home brewers with experience say the same thing about kits. No matter what store the kits come from, they instruct very basically and make it simple but aren't very technically in-accurate. The kit will make beer though.

Beauty in the eyes of the beholder, and all that stuff

The stores are trying to peak some interest and make money. Maybe not the best way to make beer but they but they do introduce beer making. A spark is lighted in a consumer. Make Your Own Beer!. The store makes a buck. It might end there for the store, but it is still a profit.

Mr Beer did play a part in the home brewing fury. Nothing ignoble about that, and we should all be grateful they introduced us. Birthday present Mr Beer Kits, Father's Day gift, gift to an uncle who likes beer.. Endless variations.

Fast forward. A person finds a place like HBT with all the experienced hombrewers willing to share their vast knowledge.

If not first exposed to beer making, a person might never try. A person with an interest, not matter what it is; has a natural tendency is to learn more and in our cause, make better beer.. hence. HBT

Dan's two pennies. :mug:

Ahh Mr. beer. Was an excelent introduction for me and at least 8 of my friends. We all do larger batches, but still pull out the "LBK " for the off the wall experements!

I think your thoughts are right on. Sort of wonder why you didn't post this on the MR Beer thread but also understand that thread is so old, who looks at it these days if they have a few batches under their belt? Esspecially if AG brewers. So quickly we forget.. :drunk:

Share my story if I may. Wasn't a Mr Beer kit, but similar, ~1993. My friend and I bought a no boil kit in ChristChurch New Zealand on our way down to a deployment in Antarctica.

The kit was no boil. Basically hot water, extract hopped LME, and a bag of DME. We heated the water in a 2 gallon percolating type coffee pot. Poured the hot water into a plastic carboy ( I know, wrong thing to do),
dumped in the DME, LME. Swirled it around to dissolve. I guess we cooled it, not sure, topped it off to reach 5 gallons, pitched the dry yeast; capped the carboy and stuck in an airlock using water as a barrier against the outside world.

We let it sit fermenting for 3-4 weeks. Temp was probaby to warm. Bottled it in 2 litre brown plastic bottles. ( we must have added some priming sugar somewhere along the line)

The bottles sat for another month carbonating. We were way to busy to worry about it.

Anyway, after 2 or maybe three months we tried the beer. Was better than anything that could be bought on the continent. Haha.

The beer was a Brown Ale, of sorts and tasted pretty dang good.

I understand, we all start somewhere. I too started in the 90s. My club, the Maltose Falcons in Los Angeles started back in the 70s (I was still in Jr. High and not member yet) when all you had was some simple grain and bread yeast. Mr. Beer would have been a step up. When we wanted a chocolate malt background, we put chocolate in the beer. You had to find ways to imitate the desired flavor. Heck, we even put birthday cake in our beer! We even cloned the infamous Budweiser, which the guys at the local plant couldn't believe how spot on our recipe was.

We've come a long ways.

I never got to use a Mr. Beer kit. I jumped in head first when I tried brewing with my brother's new 5 gallon equipment and had my own the next week! I made 2 extract batches before jumping into partial mash for 2 batches and then all grain recipes within 3 months of starting to brew. It's very addicting and I can't imagine having to buy all my beer anymore.

Another MrBeer for Christmas inductee. That was 16 months and 27 batches ago. Now BIAB 5 gallon brewer. Without MrBeer I never would have started.

I still use my LBK for small batches. As a matter of fact it's sitting in the bathtub right now, fermenting a batch of brown ale.

As a fairly seasoned, how do I say this, knowledgeable but far from expert home brewer? I think your frustration BigFloyd, is the same gripe most home brewers with experience say the same thing about kits. No matter what store the kits come from, they instruct very basically and make it simple but aren't very technically in-accurate. The kit will make beer though.

You are so right. Most of the kit instructions I've seen have some significant shortcomings (like Brewers' Best encouraging folks to secondary every batch after a week in the primary).

The really bad thing about MB directions is that they mislead people by promising them "You can make beer in 3 weeks!" So, the poor new brewer ferments it (usually too warm) for a week, bottles it, waits 2 weeks and then is disappointed in the result. He and the friends/family he shares it with come away with the mistaken impression that homebrewed beer is sub-standard and give up on the hobby completely.

You are so right. Most of the kit instructions I've seen have some significant shortcomings (like Brewers' Best encouraging folks to secondary every batch after a week in the primary).

The really bad thing about MB directions is that they mislead people by promising them "You can make beer in 3 weeks!" So, the poor new brewer ferments it (usually too warm) for a week, bottles it, waits 2 weeks and then is disappointed in the result. He and the friends/family he shares it with come away with the mistaken impression that homebrewed beer is sub-standard and give up on the hobby completely.

It doesn't help that half the fermentables in the standard kits are corn "solids" and the yeast is of unknown origin and age. When I first doctored a Mr. Beer kit by throwing away everything but the LME, doing a 15-minute boil, adding my own hops, DME and a quality yeast I was shocked at how much better it was. The next step was to get rid of the pre-hopped LME and you're left with just the fermenter.

Maybe I got lucky, but my first batch was a Brewers' Best Kit. It was DME with steeped specialty grains.

It was really good beer. I did a Witbier and thought it was as good as any I could buy. All my friends were very impressed. I had friends offering to buy 6-packs from that very first batch.

I know a lot more now, but that first Brewer's Best kit was a great introduction.

One possible reason I had such good luck is I attended a basic extract with steeped specialty grains brewers class at my LHBS a few months before I bought the kit and jumped in.

I've done 9 extract brews and just last week-end made the jump to BIAB. I have to say BIAB is so easy I'm surprised it isn't replacing extract plus specialty grains as a beginners intro to brewing. And it has the advantage of being a true all-grain process and is no harder than using steeped specialty grains. (Of course I haven't tasted the beer I brewed yet, so I may be in for a surprise.)

Maybe I got lucky, but my first batch was a Brewers' Best Kit. It was DME with steeped specialty grains.

It was really good beer. I did a Witbier and thought it was as good as any I could buy. All my friends were very impressed. I had friends offering to buy 6-packs from that very first batch.

I know a lot more now, but that first Brewer's Best kit was a great introduction.

The Brewers Best kits are fine as far as their recipes and ingredients go. Our LHBS sells them and I've tasted some excellent beers made from them by our club members. I'm just not a fan of certain aspects of their written instructions.

I have mixed feelings on the Mr Beer Kits. I had one maybe 5-6 years ago. I made 3 crappy batches of beer with it, and was so discouraged, didn't attempt to brew again until 5 years later.

Just started up again late last year. I'm on my 3rd kit now (brewers best) and now ready to start more advanced brewing. I'm really into it and can't wait to learn more.

In conclusion, it was more of a turn off for me than an introduction to the hobby.

I still use the MB fermenter. As has been said "you can do anything with one of those that you can do with the big fermenters - except make 5 gallons in a single batch." And I still (been AG BIAB for 3+ years) bottle in the brown plastic 1 litre bottles. That way, when I have a beer, it's a date thing with my wife. So I have spent a minimum on equipment (put that money into brewing ingredients however). :)

I have mixed feelings on the Mr Beer Kits. I had one maybe 5-6 years ago. I made 3 crappy batches of beer with it, and was so discouraged, didn't attempt to brew again until 5 years later.

Just started up again late last year. I'm on my 3rd kit now (brewers best) and now ready to start more advanced brewing. I'm really into it and can't wait to learn more.

In conclusion, it was more of a turn off for me than an introduction to the hobby.

That's a very interesting perspective. I think I remember being discouraged.

You should try all grain brewing in a grain bag. It costs much less, there are much better recipes and you have much better control of the ingredients. If you get the National Home Brewers Magazine, they publish the annual winners, which are all really good recipes. What the barley syrup manufacturers don't tell you is there are typically mixed grains in the syrups they make for kits, which doesn't work for certain recipes.

Truly, the only thing I like from the Mr. Beer Kit is the small fermenter I can use for experimental batches.

Cheers,

That's a very interesting perspective. I think I remember being discouraged.

You should try all grain brewing in a grain bag. It costs much less, there are much better recipes and you have much better control of the ingredients. If you get the National Home Brewers Magazine, they publish the annual winners, which are all really good recipes. What the barley syrup manufacturers don't tell you is there are typically mixed grains in the syrups they make for kits, which doesn't work for certain recipes.

Thanks, I will look into that. Wasn't sure EXACTLYwhat direction to go in after "retiring" from kits.

I'll second that. From hopped extracts I went straight to BIAB SMaShes with success. I then used well regarded recipes from this forum (Centennial Blonde and BeeCave Haus Pale) to expand my repertoire. I also highly recommend Brewing Classic Styles.

And definitely say no to their extracts!

I started with Mr. Beer too. Now I have done it all, Extract, PM, AG and do 5 gallon batches.

I did like 8 or 9 Mr. Beer kits. Each one turned out pretty bad...Except for 1 that turned out okay. I know it's not my process or water, as I had done PM and AG kits at the same time that turned out perfectly fine.

That's why I got away from them JGM. The beer was okay, but not good enough to be proud. Some doctor those kits with steeping grains and hops, but then why not just use extract? Cheaper with better results.

That's why I got away from them JGM. The beer was okay, but not good enough to be proud. Some doctor those kits with steeping grains and hops, but then why not just use extract? Cheaper with better results.

That's the one that was good for me. It was an American "lager" with some DME and dry hopped with cascade. Tasted okay, like the blonde ale you can get from Trader Joes..Not really good, not bad, but definitely not worth the price they charge for 1.87 pounds of HME. Used US-05 with it. For the price I could have gotten a 5 gallon kit, with steeping grains and shipping, lol.

Yep. The first beer I made using the Mr. Beer that I really liked I threw away everything from the kit but the LME, added DME, hops and good yeast. The logical next step was to just buy more hops and extract and forget about kits altogether.

Yep. The first beer I made using the Mr. Beer that I really liked I threw away everything from the kit but the LME, added DME, hops and good yeast. The logical next step was to just buy more hops and extract and forget about kits altogether.

I agree, you have to doctor the kits.

Cheers

I also got started with a Mr. Beer kit. It was given to me for Father's Day but I didn't get around to using it until that fall. My dad had made "home brew" when I was a kid in the 1950's and I remember the bready flavor and the bottle grenades in the cellar. The beer my MB kit delivered was definitely an improvement over that 1950's home brew.

Unlike others above, I was encouraged by this improvement over my expectations. I soon discovered Midwest Supplies and ordered a kit. After a couple kits I found HBT and a LHBS with a guy working there that knew how to coach a new brewer. Within 2 months I was rigging up for AG and have been hooked ever since. And like others, I still have that little fermenter. Darned handy, even if their kits don't deliver particularly good beer. (My standards have changed a lot since I started brewing, too, and I suspect all of ours have as well.)

I remember going to the Homebrew shop in Woodland Hills where I met this pompas dude that talked down to me like I was pond scum. Luckily they let him go and replace his with cool people. I asked him about AG and he gave me a grain bag and said go for it. That's when I put down the Mr. Beer kit (and extract brewing) and found out how great you could make a beer, and from scratch no less.

Cheers

I think he has good friends. The ad states that he received two MrBeer kits for wedding presents. He's only selling one. I hope he brews and learns.

My wife is brewing beer, LOL. Actually she's really hot, so this is funny. She approved it. Seriously, she's nice too.

Witch Brewing.jpg

If it brings you joy, then it's worth it.

I'm frequently asked if I'm a good cook, my response is that I'm very good at cooking food that I enjoy. As for other folks, Piss on them!

I'll continue with my extract brews until they no longer satisfy me.

MR Beer reintroduced me to brewing. I brewed about 30 gallons in those little brown kegs. It taught me how to modify recipes, control fermentation pitching and temps, and to relax and be patient.
The best thing I learned was to get connected to the homebrew community. I joined the Mr Beer forum and owe a to to those brewers that helped me along the way.
Now a few years later, I'm doing AG and learning more every brew.

Roed Haus Brewery

Brewed my first bucket kit beer 23 years ago (1991). All liquid, pre-hopped extract. Thoroughly loved the concept. Wasn’t impressed with the outcome. I stashed the equipment and forgot about it

2006 SWMBO gave me a Mr. Beer kit for lack of any other ideas.

Three days into fermentation, that smell triggered something in me. I gathered what I had saved of my original equipment, ran to the LHBS for the missing components and a (non-pre-hopped) recipe kit and had that 5 gallon batch fermenting within 4 days of starting my Mr. Beer.

The rest…as they say…is history.

Back