savory/meaty flavor and smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calamitybrew

Reaction score
I'm a relatively new all grain brewer (batch 7 is in secondary) and my last few beers have had a savory and/or meaty flavor and smell. No es bueno.

From what I've read here and elsewhere, it's not likely autolysis. The last 3 batches were all a Double Jack clone, and have ranged from sitting anywhere from 1 - 3 weeks in primary. I'm pretty careful with cleaning and sanitation, so I'm hoping it's not some pesky bacteria.

I used US05 Safale on the first two batches and WPL001 on the 3rd, but all have that smell and flavor. Aside from the first of these attempts, where my fermentation temp went up into the mid to high 70s, the latter two never went above 68. I pitched all 3 a little on the high side, but nothing crazy.

Maybe it's the recipe (which seems fine) or maybe it's all the hop matter sitting in primary (I don't filter it out).

Any ideas where this might be coming from?

Thanks!

Generally, "meaty" (I've heard it described as "hot dogs", too!) means autolysis.

It's not common to have autolysis if the yeast is taken care of, though, especially in relatively short primaries.

Has your water changed lately? Or anything else that is new?

Thanks for the response.
For the first of these 3, I used the same water as I'd been using with my other recipes (they came out fine), and switched it to 1/2 spring & 1/2 distilled for the last 2, in order to rule out water sources. That's also why I changed the yeast.

This latest batch was kept between 64 and 68 F for 3 weeks. The only things I can think of are sanitation or too much hop matter, but I've read that hop matter sitting in the primary shouldn't be an issue.
(I can't imagine it's the recipe)
10 gal:
22lb Pale (US)
4lb Munich
2lb Caramel/Crys 30
1.7 lb Cara Piles/Dex
1lb Rye

...and 7.5oz hops

Latest posts

Back