Saving yeast from scorched batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wysiwyg

e-BIAB squeezer
Reaction score
As the title suggests, I recently saved yeast from a scorched batch and want advice (from experience) on whether to save it or not.

I made a wet-hopped chinook IPA and after brewing, chilling, and transferring to primary, I noticed my element was covered in scorch. I didn't think much of it and fermented anyway. After fermentation I transferred to keg and saved a bunch of the trub in a mason jar. After 4 days of carbonating I finally tasted it and was grossed out by the overwhelming presence of scorch. I haven't dumped it yet, but probably will.

Now for the yeast I saved - will the scorch taste come through in the next beer? Do I just dump the yeast too? It's not a special house strain or anything, just Wyeast 1056.

Thanks!

if you were going to make a starter for it i think youd be OK since new non-scorchy yeast would be ready for pitching. But I wouldnt risk directly pitchign that stuff. Not worth another 5gal of scorch beer

Thanks m00ps! That makes sense.

BTW, I 'liked' your post in accordance with forum etiquette!

The scorch flavor compounds you've got are probably present in the trub and small amount of beer that you scooped up into the mason jar after fermentation. Did you wash before harvesting or just scoop up the trub? Check out Bernie brewer's sticky on washing yeast before harvesting. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=41768

I'm not sure how much of the scorched flavor compounds would stay with the yeast after washing and harvesting, maybe someone more experienced could offer up some info. But to test it you can always make a small starter and taste the "beer" that it made once the yeast drops out. If the flavor comes through I'd say just scrap the harvested yeast and start with new yeast and a starter for the next batch.

As far as the ruined beer, you could use it for cooking if nothing else...creating a reduction sauce or bread? I'd hate to see a batch dumped unless there's nothing else to be done with it!

Back