Saving a dry-hopped super coudy IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calgary222

Reaction score
Well, I was in a rush before Christmas, I dry hopped late in the fermentation, kegged 3 days later before the temperature here plunged to minus 28 (my chamber is in an unheated garage and I didn't want my little ceramic heater booming away in there) and as a result have a fair bit of hop (from pellets) hanging around in my kegs - by fair bit I mean it looks like some heath nut's morning green smoothie.

I believe that with time, this will settle to the bottom and I should just be able to pour off a couple of pints at the start of each keg and be fine - but I am wondering if I should consider depressurizing the kegs (there are 4) and add a gelatin or finings will it help clarify the beer?

I've never used these, much less after kegging, so I have two questions - worth it? and will the goop that drops out flow through the taps easily?

Tasty beer, just looks like a beast presently...

Last edited:
Honestly, I think if it tastes good, just let it ride until it finally clears up. I've seen a few stories where people thought the gelatin was fully dissolved and when they added it to a carbed beer, the nucleation sites from the undissolved gelatin caused gushing out the top of the keg. Eventually it'll settle out and it should clear up, so if it tastes good now, I wouldn't mess with it.

I've transferred from one keg to another and used a inline filter between the kegs. It worked fine but I typically don't have a need to do this.

Good advice - appreciate it.

I will leave the one in the fridge for a bit before I try anything and set the remaining 3 kegs aside for now... At this point it's only a few weeks old so maybe I will give it a month and go from there - this will seriously test my (lack of) impulse control though.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I know all about impulse control. I'm drinking a beer I hooked up two days ago. :)

Back