Saving a DMS bomb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbaumanncb

Reaction score
OK, so I brewed a California Common at a Brew-out in April. It was in the mid 40s and my (now old) burner was not up to the task. I had, at best, a rolling simmer with little volume loss (6 gallon batch). Fermented out fine and hit my numbers pretty much. However, as you might expect, it was a DMS bomb. I said I was going to dump it but I could not bring myself to do it. I wan to find a way to save it. I was thinking of dumping in a can of Raspberry Puree and pitching white labs Belgium Sour I as I read in a few places that Brett will eat DMS.

Am I just throwing good money and ingredients after bad or will time, fruit and Brett make this something that is drinkable?

Cheers

Do you have a keg setup? You can force CO2 through the OUT post of the keg with the lid off and off-gas about 10-20% of the DMS.

From there, though, you can only mask the DMS flavors, you can't eliminate the DMS itself. The common brewing bacteria don't "eat" DMS that I know of, but souring it might mask the DMS off flavors.

All-in-all, it probably isn't worth the trouble. I'd dump it and start over.

Put in here.

terrifyingtoiletisterrifying.jpg

I saw a thread recently about making low alcohol beer, where you take a finished beer and try to boil off the alcohol; as a last ditch effort, you could always boil it for 15 minutes or so (not to remove alcohol, but the DMS), chill it and transfer it back to the keg and carbonate it. It wouldn't be that much work.

I saw a thread recently about making low alcohol beer, where you take a finished beer and try to boil off the alcohol; as a last ditch effort, you could always boil it for 15 minutes or so (not to remove alcohol, but the DMS), chill it and transfer it back to the keg and carbonate it. It wouldn't be that much work.

I already drank it Farmer !!

Make a strong Stout with massive flavor and blend some of the two together and see if it is salvageable.... I have saved beers that had NO taste or to much taste (burned or overpowering) that way...

Back