Save my mead!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullenium

Reaction score
So I have a 5gal batch of mead that's been sitting for well over 6 months (I'd have to look at my old posts to see exact age)

It's basically 12 lbs honey and essential oils were added during fermentation (fermentation was slow due to the oils)

Oils used were:
Cinnamon 20 drops
Wild orange 10 drops
Clove 5 drops

I also did a secondary on 1lb of whole cranberries and 1lb whole blueberries (I should have mushed them up but this is my first mead, trying to smash them while in carboy with the mead was a pain)

Now the mead has been done fermenting for awhile and it hit a good FG and I've just had it aging in the carboy in my closet as the flavor is like a kick in the face cinnamoney cough syrup flavor and at first it was almost undrinkable , now it's sort of drinkable but not a pleasant flavor.

Should I add something to it like a fruit juice or something? The essential oils were a huge mistake as I feel a plain mead would have been way better. Now I know to never use them again, or just add a few drops and not over 20 like I did

So I have a 5gal batch of mead that's been sitting for well over 6 months (I'd have to look at my old posts to see exact age)

It's basically 12 lbs honey and essential oils were added during fermentation (fermentation was slow due to the oils)

Oils used were:
Cinnamon 20 drops
Wild orange 10 drops
Clove 5 drops

I also did a secondary on 1lb of whole cranberries and 1lb whole blueberries (I should have mushed them up but this is my first mead, trying to smash them while in carboy with the mead was a pain)

Now the mead has been done fermenting for awhile and it hit a good FG and I've just had it aging in the carboy in my closet as the flavor is like a kick in the face cinnamoney cough syrup flavor and at first it was almost undrinkable , now it's sort of drinkable but not a pleasant flavor.

Should I add something to it like a fruit juice or something? The essential oils were a huge mistake as I feel a plain mead would have been way better. Now I know to never use them again, or just add a few drops and not over 20 like I did

The answer everyone will probably give you is to leave it alone for a while.

The only thing that came to mind when reading your post was that the recipe is a little confusing. I mean, what is this supposed to be or what were you going for? It seems like you added a bunch of random stuff without a cohesive plan.
I did that once before. It started as an acerglyn, then I added some mixed berries, then I accidentally oaked the sh*t out of it in a desperate attempt to fix the off flavors I perceived. It is some foul, tannin-ridden swill. I bottled the batch and am leaving it alone with no real expectations, but a good lesson learned.

That being said, you said that you noticed some improvement, so some age might help. If you read any if the "My mead is ruined" threads, you will always see some anecdote about a guy who stored it under his stairs for 5 years and rediscovered it and it was amazing. I don't think it happens every time, but it's worth a shot.

Yeah, I'd definitely say that adding essential oils seems unwise - not only did you end up way overdoing the flavors, but cinnamon oil has a pretty strong antifungal action, so adding to your primary is going to make your yeast pretty grumpy. In the future, to add spice to your mead, try simmering the actual spice (i.e. a stick of cinnamon) with your honey must with a gentle heat before fermenting - this will give you a much milder, more natural level of spice.

Well age can be your friend. But that takes a long time. The only other option I see it to make another batch! You can make a traditional mead with just honey, water, yeast, nutrients and employing all that you have learned over the past several months. Then do some small scale blending in about another 3 months. 1 part this and 3 parts that... Taste... Nope 2 parts this 5 parts that.... And see what balances out. Then mix the large batches to that degree and bottle. Let sit a couple weeks and give it try. You may tone down the flavors and get the profile you wanted that way.

If you're going to use essential oils add them in secondary in a step wise manner as to avoid over spicing

Latest posts

Back