Sasparilla Root?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mishraile

Reaction score
I was given something that looks like a hunk of root, but was called Sasparilla, I want to say he referred to it as root, but it... looks like a piece of a branch, but smells great! I want to use it in brewing but was not sure how to...

Should I chip it up into pieces? Should I add it at the end of the boil? Should it go in primary/secondary fermentation?

Looking for the best way to use this. I can put it in any beer, but have a kit for a wee heavy I think it would do well in.

Thoughts?

That's the oldschool base for Rootbeer....

There's a thread I just found on someone doing an Amber Ale with it.

I guess the OP could make a tincture of it by grinding (into larger bits, not powder) and soaking in vodka or something for a few weeks, and add that to the batch either at flame-out or directly into the fermenter???

I guess the OP could make a tincture of it by grinding (into larger bits, not powder) and soaking in vodka or something for a few weeks, and add that to the batch either at flame-out or directly into the fermenter???

The tincture didn't occur to me... But probably. I was thinking in terms of in the boil at flameout.

I guess I didn't answer that part, I was actually still looking to see what beer recipes could use it.

:mug:

There's a discussion (a short one) one I found in google that talks about using it in dark ales like stouts....

I found this commercial example of a beer brewed with sasparilla.

There's also always Hard Root Beers, since Not Your Father's is so popular these days.

Actually a brown ale sounds interesting. But I personally wouldn't want a sweet brown with it (though I'm sure a lot of people who like hard root beers would probably love it, and I have a kinda of sweetish brown ale that would do great I think for this.) But myself I think I'd like a drier, nuttier brown ale with it.

Hmmm, the tincture sounds like it might work, but I doubt I will be able to wait that long (shoulda posted as soon as I got the root!)

Chopping it up and throwing in at flameout sounds like a good idea.

Thank you for the input guys!

Hmmm, the tincture sounds like it might work, but I doubt I will be able to wait that long (shoulda posted as soon as I got the root!)

Chopping it up and throwing in at flameout sounds like a good idea.

Thank you for the input guys!

Just for extra sanitation, how about coarsely chopping and swishing in some cheap vodka before tossing into the boil... :) Most of the extra alcohol will quickly boil off

Back