Sanky Keg Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPO

Reaction score
I wanted to create this post to show my Sanky keg fermenter. There were something's that worked out great on the project and some that were an epic failure. Originally I wanted to have a way to ferment beer that would not require glass or plastic. I wanted to reduce the risk of contaminated beer. I decided to convert a Sanky keg to a cleanable fermenter.

Keg Ferm 1.PNG

Originally I thought an 8in tri clover cap would fit on the top of a cut keg. This did not work and it was impossible to create a good seal. I made sure to make the lid large enough to be on a flat surface but the convex surface of the top of the keg made a sealing issue. It would also cost me a considerable amount of money and time to create a way to secure the cap to the top of the keg.

Keg Lid fail.PNG

I then decided to weld an 8in ferrule to the top of the keg. It should be noted that a 6in would work just a well and save you around $40 on the build. The only reason I used an 8in was due to already having parts. Below is the cost of the project. All the parts were from brewershardware.com
Keg= $25
Cap= $49
Clamp= $38
Ferrule= $29
Gasket= $4
Thermowell= $20
Welding= $50
Total= $215
:mug:

Last edited:
That's awesome! I was picturing doing a similar design! I wonder how well this would work with a 1/6 barrel instead, since I have a bunch of them.

I also want a way to pressure transfer. I imaging I could accomplish that by welding a stainless tube to the lid and having quick disconnects on the top. This would make sure no air ever gets introduced. May be over kill though.

I believe it would work with a smaller keg as well. I would use a 4in or 6in tri clamp. These sizes are easier to find and are cheaper. Also when you weld the ferrule on make sure to weld from the inside. This will ensure it is a sanitary seal.
I also want to pressure transfer. I have seen people add fittings to the lid like Sabco.
http://www.brewmagic.com/product/carb-wand-fermenter-cap/
I plan on trying to transfer with a stainless tube and a rubber stopper. I usually re-pitch on the yeast cake with a second batch so keeping things clean at transfer is important.

I have a friend that is always on the look out for brewing stuff. He found it at a flea market. The down tube for the sankey coupler was all beat up and useless as a keg but perfect for brewing. I also cleaned the keg up with green abrasive ball from harbor freight.

Here is the first brew. Dunkel. Currently an Oktoberfest is in the fermenter.

Dunkel.jpg

Second brew pitched on last batch of yeast. Oktoberfest. I pitched on top of the yeast again. Currently in the fermenter is a MaiBock. Should come in around 7%.

Oktoberfest 2016.PNG

Mine...with some adaptation to racking cane, temp probe, CO2 in/out and a another one to put my peristaltic pump to close recirculate when dryhopping.

IMAG4802.jpg

Nice. That is very cool.
Are you putting yours in a refrigerator? If so what does that look like. I have to lift mine about a foot off the ground and it just barely fits.

Back