Sankey Keg for XMAS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

out-n-about

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just got a Sankey keg for XMAS and had a couple of questions about how to fill and clean this keg. It was purchased from Kegworks and here is the link to what I received.

http://www.kegworks.com/5-gallon-pet-homebrew-keg-with-us-sankey-coupler-fitting-3005-p178096

I also got a dual keg tap system for Ball lock kegs. I found adapters so I can use the ball locks with the Sankey taps so thats not a problem, but I'm not having as much luck finding information on cleaning and filling them.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

J

This is what I just did last weekend to clean and fill a 1/6 bbl sanke. It was my first time doing it and I found it fairly straight forward but then again I researched the crap out of it first. I highly suggest doing a few practice runs filling and purging the keg to get the hang of things. I used water to do this.

1. Remove the spear. Lots of info out there on how to do it but this is a good video to get your started https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZPfZ_AL380

2. I used a DIY carboy/keg cleaner to do the actually cleaning. There are some good threads here on how to make one.

3. Rinse keg and let air dry. Once dry cap the keg until you are ready to fill.

4. Disassemble sanke spear, soak in PBW. How long depends on how dirty it is. After it soaks, rinse and let dry but do not reassemble. Keep it covered. I soaked mine in a wall paper tray and then covered with saran wrap.

When it comes time to fill (which I will explain later) this is what I do:

1. Mix up some no rinse sanitizer. I pour about a 3 quarts into my keg, cap the keg some how to to keep the sanitizer in. Roll keg around on its side to make sure all the walls get sanitized. Hold upside down and splash around the sanitizer so it covers the top. Hold it right side up and splash around to sanitize the bottom. Pour out sanitizer. Cover the opening until you are ready to put the spear back in.

2. Let the disassembled sanke spear soak in sanitizer, reassemble spear and put it back into the keg. Again reference the video on how to do it. I would practice this a few times to get the hang of it before you actually fill.

For filling, I use a modified sanke couple with both check values removed.

1. Connect the coupler to the keg and push the handle down.

2. I used an auto siphon to transfer from my carboy to the keg via the beer line of the coupler.

3. Once filled, place a clean and sanitized penny in between the washer and barb of the beer in line of the coupler.

4. Hook up CO2 tank to the gas in of the coupler and purge the air from the keg. Lots of info on here about purging a keg.

One trick for taking the spear apart is to get a 1" PVC tee fitting, cut notches in one end that align to the flared retaining ring. You can then use this to push down the retaining ring and twist at the same time to remove/install the retaining ring.

If something doesnt make sense just ask and I will try to clarify the best I can. I am picking up another 1/6 bbl this weekend so I can also take pics then if that would help.

@Zombiecat the pub keg design doesn't have a removable spear. So cleaning/sanitizing will have to be done without disassembly.

I don't think the pub kegs have removable spears. Pub Kegs are shipped sanitary. Pub Kegs are a semi-disposable system. They are meant to dispose the inner PET Liner with each use. That said, us homebrewers reuse plastic all the time.

So for cleaning it, you would need to clean it like a commercial brewery cleans its kegs (ie without dis-assembly) If you have a pump this actually isn't a big deal. Remove the checkvalves from your sanke coupler and then you can cycle cleaner (oxiclean is what I use) in through the beer-out port and out through the gas-in port. Then repeat with sanitizer and your done. Note: this whole process should be done with the keg inverted.

Without a pump, I would siphon chemicals in through the beer-out port. I would use at least 2.5gal of solution. disconnect the sanke coupler and shake/roll/etc the keg until its clean. (I would verify by looking at the liner). Drain, Rinse and repeat with sanitizer. Note: this process should be done with the keg right side up.

And that is what I get for not viewing the link. Sorry I saw sanke keg and thought this was about commercial sanke kegs.

@out-n-about how has this worked out for you so far? Initially trying to disassemble this was not fun. Even with the strap wrench they recommended. Once I was finally able to get it apart, cleaning was easy, so was filling, and reassembly. I'm still drinking out of it; I will come back when I refill it.

Back