Sankey Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellsreach

Reaction score
So, I bought a Sankey and am planning to convert it to my first fermenter capable of 10 gal batches.

Setting aside the, thus far, impossible task of removing the spring clip (the end is 180 degrees away from the notch), I think it will be a great fermenter.

My question is, has anyone attempted to install a sight glass in a keg fermenter and would that cause a problem is I am doing pressurized fermentation?

Do you want a sight glass on the side to see the liquid level? Or a sight glass on top to see inside?

As far as getting the clip out, are you planning to use a triclover system for serving or do you want to be able to put the clip back in?

Also, make sure the keg is depressurized before you attempt to take out the clip and spear.

My intent is to use a triclover fitting, yes but not for serving per se. I won't serve out of that keg itself, but do closed system pressurized transfers to my Cornys.

If you don't care about the metal clip holding the spear in, just take a flathead screwdriver and pry it out of the groove. Then use some needlenose pliers and take ot out the rest of the way. If the clip is doubled up, just pry out the top layer. The bottom will come out when you use the pliers to take it out.

There are many videos on YouTube showing how to do it.

Any attempts to pry out the clip fail to move in a nanometer (yes, the keg is depressurized) and I cannot get the a needle nose plier it there. The end of the spring is on the other side completelu, from the notch. Last attempt to pry out the spring clip resulted in no movement at all and a chipped screwdriver.

Head to Harbor Freight (because they are so cheap)

And pick up some “snap ring pliers”

Pop that puppy right out.

Harbor freight also sells a pulley removal tool that works well as a spear removal tool. I think it is about $30 (much cheaper that a true spear removal tool) that grabs the sides and pushes down as you screw it taking pressure off the snap ring. You will need a few washers to protect the center of the spear. Also you might fill the top of the spear with some warm water and let it sit for 15 or 20 minutes. Sometimes beer gets around the snap ring and causes it to stick.

Couple tricks

Hot water soak, even boiling a few times

Be sure you are only prying the top half of the ring, if you are catching both top and bottom ring it will never budge.

You can mcguyver a stem compression tool with a large socket, and a scrap of lumber, place the socket inside the top of the stem, then use the scrap wood tied to one keg handle as a lever to push down on the socket depressing the stem and taking pressure off the spiral ring. You may be able to rotate the ring, and get it closer to a detent. With about a 1/4” past the indent in the keg, pry with sharp small screwdriver being careful to only snag top half of the ring.

A small hook tool or knife may be able to catch the end of the ring as it sits now, but this can be tricky.

Don't know if you've seen this, but I really like this guy's setup:
http://onbrewing.com/fermenting-kegging-sankes/

I've got a couple of 7.5g sankes that are collecting dust, I'm going to start fermenting in them using this setup. The sight glass would be nice for transfer, but then again, maybe a clear racking cane would be sufficient...

I have a sanke that had the snap ring in a similar position. I use a cutting wheel with a dremel and cut it out. If you are careful you can get it out in a few mins, and then get a snap ring from the auto store if you need to reuse the spear.

I have a sanke that had the snap ring in a similar position. I use a cutting wheel with a dremel and cut it out. If you are careful you can get it out in a few mins, and then get a snap ring from the auto store if you need to reuse the spear.

This is actually a good idea, if one were to cut straight down into one of the two indents in the keg, cutting right through the spiral ring, the keg would still be completely functional.

I do somewhat disagree with using a standard snap ring, as the purpose of the spiral ring is to compress the keg stem o ring during installation. Can’t get my head around how a standard ring would do that...anyways.

Back