Sanke vs Corny - Pressure Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmhbutler

Reaction score
I'm currently running a three tap keezer with two cornies and a 5 gallon sanke. It seems that the sanke keg always produces wild beers, sputtering and filling two or more glasses with foam before it starts running properly, while the two corny kegs pour perfectly. All three kegs are on the same regulator and have nearly equal line length. I'm trying to find an explanation and was hoping somebody might be able to offer some insight.

Possible contributing factors:

1. The ambient temperature of the keezer gets warm as I have long and infrequent run times. Perhaps the different draw tube setup is having an impact.

2. The sanke keg is on a lower shelf in the freezer which seems a bit colder, it may perhaps be impacted more by the warm lines.

3. If the sanke is lower, the colder temps will let the beer absorb a higher volume of CO2 at the same pressure. That keg is likely slightly more carbonated. The bigger the temp difference, the bigger the carb difference.

4. Any conversion couplers may be providing areas where CO2 comes out of solution.

Was the sanke kegged beer carbonated to the same level as the two corny kegged brews?

Eg: If the sanke is a commercial keg filled with yellow fizzy water it was probably carbed considerably higher than typical home brewed ales. If the dispensing pressure is set to maintain the carb level of the home brew it can cause CO2 to break out of solution in the higher-carbed brew, causing bubbles to collect in the beer lines...

Cheers!

...It seems that the sanke keg always produces wild beers, sputtering and filling two or more glasses with foam before it starts running properly, while the two corny kegs pour perfectly...

Is that 2 glasses every time you go to pour from it? or the first two once it is tapped and then the rest are ok?

Both kegs were carbonated at the same level, and after a glass or two it starts pouring fine. Perhaps the D-couple is allowing the CO2 in the colder, slightly more carbonated beer to fall our of solution?

Usually the cause of the foamy first pour or two is due to temperature stratification (or the tap is too warm), or an unbalanced system. I have noticed that since my sankey couplers have the one way gas in valve (that little ball inside) that they can easily overcarb/overpressurize if pressure should rise for whatever reason. That could be a factor as well.

Look at your lines from the sankey after you pour a not so foamy beer. Are bubbles coming out of the keg coupler into the line? If so, it usually is due to it being unbalanced.
Before a foamy pour, feel the faucet, is it warm or cold? Warm lines/faucet will make for foamy as well.
Have you tried swapping the lines from the sankey with that of a cornie? Could be you have a section of rougher line or something, I dunno, I am grasping at straws at this point.
Does it only happen with this particular sankey? Then again if it were the keg/coupler it probably would happen with every pour. I am still leaning towards it being unbalanced. Before your next pour try pulling the PRV on the sankey coupler and see if it pours less foamy.

I think Billl and Drunklejon are correct. My keezer is only running 4 or so times a day for an hour, so the in between time allows the lines and coupler to get quiet warm. This problem seems to be aggravated by the sanke being on the colder, lowers shelf. I'm going to try moving the sanke up and putting a corny down. This will will take care of the second part of the problem; however, the coupler will now be even warmer. Like I said, its smooth sailing after a pint but just embarrassing when somebody wants a taste and foam shoots everywhere. (let's leave that one in context...)

Install a small desk fan in the keezer to circulate the cool air. Should actually help with temperature stability as well. I got one at the local Targay for a couple bucks this summer, you may even be able to find one at a $ store. If all else fails, there is your local office supply store.

Install a small desk fan in the keezer to circulate the cool air. Should actually help with temperature stability as well. I got one at the local Targay for a couple bucks this summer, you may even be able to find one at a $ store. If all else fails, there is your local office supply store.

That's what I was going to suggest but 12v computer fan you can find on ebay that use squirrel cage style blades. This will make it smaller, use less electricity and will allow you to mount it to the interior wall of the keaser and will still be out of the way.

Back