sanke spear mash paddle.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozman0104

Reaction score
Ok so I figured out something to use the spear for. I made mash paddles out of them. I just cut it down the center and you can go as far as you want to make the desired paddle. Then I took my dremel and cut it so I could unrolled them and make them flat. Drill some holes and you have your selves and stainless steel mash paddle.

IMAG0482.jpg

Pretty slick, how did you get the ends on though? You never mention welding? I have about 5 of those steams just laying around.

The paddle portion is the actual tube of the spear, that is what you are making by cutting the paddle down the center, and then cutting it down both sides so you can flatten it out. I cut the corners off so there were no sharp edges. Here is another picture so you can see what I mean.

IMAG0565.jpg

Haha! That's a pretty good idea! How does the paddle portion of it feel... seem like it's sturdy enough to last a while? Heck, even if it's not... the price is right.

I haven't had any problems with them yet. Just be sure to leave enough metal when you are cutting around so there is enough support.

I did this a few months ago with nothing but an angle grinder and a drill. Needless to say yours look a lot better than mine.

I thought this was a clever project and decided to give it a go. I made some simple modifications that I think ease the construction and don't require welding or soldering. I just cut along the length of the spear with a hacksaw, then about 3/4 of the way through the spear where the lengthwise cut stopped. Then I just unrolled the metal, hammered it flat, drilled holes and cleaned it up with the angle grinder. The metal is pretty thin and you have to be diligent to blunt and smooth the edges or you'll end up with a weapon instead. I may enlarge the holes, but would like to test it first (they're 1/2" now). Anyhow, thanks for the inspiration.

(imgur link for larger pic: http://i.imgur.com/SVVgs.jpg)

mashpaddle2.jpg

Great idea. I am going to try this, seems like a good project to work on while the watching the pot. What do I have to lose?

Maybe I'll pinch off the open end so it doesnt get grains stuck up in there.

Maybe I'll pinch off the open end so it doesnt get grains stuck up in there.

I started to do this (you may be able to tell) and then stopped because I realized that without welding/soldering the seam, I'd never get it leakproof. In which case wort and grain could easily get stuck in there and fester because there's no good way to clean it out. So I just left it open.

I started to do this (you may be able to tell) and then stopped because I realized that without welding/soldering the seam, I'd never get it leakproof. In which case wort and grain could easily get stuck in there and fester because there's no good way to clean it out. So I just left it open.

Good point. How about some JB Weld gooped into the end?

5 year old thread but what the hell, heres mine.
i wanted it to be a bit longer so drilled a couple of holes and attached ss skimmer with ss bolts. easy to take apart for cleaning. total cost maybe £1.50.
cheers

IMG_2042.JPG

IMG_2043.JPG

Back