Sanke kegs for $30

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hootowl

Reaction score
I find this strange. I'm all setup with 3 converted korny kegs. While waiting for brews to ferment, I pick up sixtels and 1/4 kegs with light brews for everyday drinking. Deposit on the keg is $30.

Two places I asked the same question.
"Can't I keep the keg and forfeit the $30?"

Both places said yes.

I am very surprised that anyone would tell you that.

The deposit for the keg is considered a rental and not returning it is stealing.

This is a tried and true topic that brings the moral gray area of what can you sleep with

It technically is illegal, at least to which I have read, and you can't advocate for anyone else to do as such on the forums but yes that is a widespread topic about keg ethics.

It's likely due to the cost that large BMCs can aquire kegs at, which is near the deposit if not less. Doing this to small microbrews and brewpubs will give you 10 years bad beer.

Kegs can be returned at and beer place so theres no record of where they came from or go to. The beer place looses nothing if you keep them so they don't care. Its not theres to say to keep but its the way it is. The tap and bucket are theres I believe and that's all they care about getting back and the reason the deposit on those items are so high

I wouldn't have an issue holding onto an emptied keg (especially if it were Inbev owned) for long-term use to serve my own homebrew from as long as it remains functionally intact and could be returned at some later date. Call it an extended rental for a one-time fee. Hacking one up to make a keggle, however, would be a no-go.

Whatever brewery actually owns the kegs expects to get them back when you are finished with whatever beer that came with the keg. Is keeping the keg longer than that the same as stealing (theft)? Legally, I'd say no, it isn't, but the keg still isn't yours to do as you please. Using the keg for your own home brew beer wasn't part of the original deal when you got the keg of beer.

Not trying to justify it. Haven't done it either. I would think the deposit price is based on lost value. Lady told me the deposit used to be lower but they made money scrapping them. The responsibility is between the distributor and the owning party, not the customer.

I would say keeping the keg is fair game. Thats what the deposit is for. If they were gonna lose money on the keg they would raise the deposit. But around here the keg deposit is like $100 everywhere

I would say keeping the keg is fair game. Thats what the deposit is for. If they were gonna lose money on the keg they would raise the deposit. But around here the keg deposit is like $100 everywhere

Exactly... Because we pay the price for the people that dont return them... its like insurance fraud..
Keg deposits were way up to like $70 here at one point because of this and it hurt beer sales bad so I believe they changed it...
Either way like mentioned its a moral thing,like stealing from a walmart and trying to justify it by saying its peanuts to them..

I would not be happy if I distributed and people didnt return the kegs.. micro breweries keep better records on this for a reason they usually lease their kegs or if they buy them they pay around $100 each for them. as it is they only see a keg an average of 3 times a year when distributing because people hold on to them so long.

Back