Sanke coupler leaking at beer out... use teflon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dallasdb

Reaction score
I searched the archives and hadn't found a thread with my problem.

The coupler is leaking at the nut for the beer out. A bit of foam develops on the edge of the nut and closest to the bottom threads. It doesn't appear to be leaking on the top of the nut where the washer is.

First time hooking up a keg. I took apart and cleaned the sanke as well as all new lines.

The coupler is tight, all the way screwed onto the keg until it stops.

I didn't think you needed to put teflon tape on the threads but maybe you need to?

Any suggestions appreciated.

I think you are correct. I have the washer that sits on top of the tail piece between the tail piece and the nut but it is metal to metal tail piece to the coupler.

There were two washers, just like what you linked to, that were just put on the beverage line like a place to hold them. They weren't in use literally just floating on the bev line. I had no clue what they were for but now I'm thinking they were spares for the nut connecting the bev line.

The guy I bought this from did NOT take care of his equipment. It looked decent but once I got into everything he NEVER clearly never cleaned it.
Beer lines were disgusting.

Cleaned it all up, replaced all the lines, put new Perlicks on it. Now it's purdy and will be perfect once I get this leak fixed.

That's the price you pay when you buy used and deeply discounted. I picked up four corny kegs, 3 fermenting buckets, a bottling bucket, cdn thermometer, wing capper, 6 gallon glass carboy, 2 tap mini fridge kegerator, sanke coupler, creamer faucet and misc other items for $400.

Thanks again for the reply.

I'll report back when I put the washer on.

I think you are correct. I have the washer that sits on top of the tail piece between the tail piece and the nut but it is metal to metal tail piece to the coupler.

There should not be a washer between the tailpiece and the nut, that should be metal on metal. You only need one between the flat side of the tailpiece and the sanke keg coupler. This will take care of all of your leaks!

Hmmm I took it apart and put it back together the way it was... looks like the dummy before me put the washer on the wrong side and the dummy after him (me) put it back like that.

It blows my mind that metal on metal (tailpiece to nut) will seal without leaking...

The CO2 side's tailpiece and nut are metal on metal haven't been leaking so I guess it works...

Still blows my mind.

giphy.gif

There should not be a washer between the tailpiece and the nut, that should be metal on metal. You only need one between the flat side of the tailpiece and the sanke keg coupler. This will take care of all of your leaks!

Switched this up and it appears to have fixed the issue!

Keg kicked the next day so I didn't really have much time for inspection but didn't notice any leaking after fixing the washer.

Thanks!

Back