Sanitizing with only oxyclean and star san?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauvafr

Reaction score
Here's is my routine :

• Rinse with really hot water (warm water or really a quick hot watr rinse if it's plastic)
  • Let it soak a bit or wash in oxyclean/water solution
  • Rinse 3 times
  • Spray with 1/4 oz star san diluted in one gallon water

That's it. I also spray my hands with star san solution before touching anything that will get to beer.

Is it good enough ?

Probably... You only need the starsan if it is on the cold side. For example, no sense in sanitizing a mash tun. .25oz is technically too [high]. You would want .2 oz in a gallon of water. I prefer to mix starsan in distilled water.

Your program would work if it passes visual inspection. If you still have crud then wash again. You can't sanitize a dirty vessel.

That's pretty close to my routine. I spray off whatever I can with the hose, then let Oxyclean sit and soak to clean out the Better Bottles, and Oxyclean in a 5 gallon bucket to soak other stuff. I spray them off with a hose, or spray out the carboys. I keep a 5 gallon bucket of StarSan, and immerse the rinsed stuff in there. A smaller bucket is handy to fill a couple of inches with StarSan for small pieces like Cornie keg lids. I just dunk my gloved hands in to get stuff, so they are sanitized too. They StarSan solution can last many months at my pace of brewing if I make it up with distilled or reverse osmosis water and use it just for sanitizing, not for cleaning. pH paper can tell you when it's done.

Pretty much what I just got done doing with one carboy and 3 kegs this past weekend. My personal rule is to always sanitize before using as well. If the piece of equipment seems dirty or dusty from sitting in my garage regardless of how recent I went through my cleaning process, I clean it again and sanitize before using.

I suspect that getting an infection is not nearly as easy as we can tend to think it is, but my attitude is that oxyclean and starsan are far too inexpensive to bother getting lazy. Better safe than super super sorry.

Definitely better safe than sorry. I recently picked up some wild yeast in my brewery somehow. I'm extremely anal about sanitation and all of my plastic equipment was replaced about 6 months ago and it still found away in. Fortunately neither of the beers that are infected are dumpers, but it's still a real bummer.

Latest posts

Back