Sanitizing only for Hydrometer reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janson745

Reaction score
Alright guys, I have searched for a while to no avail to figure out the best process for checking the FG of my beew in a few weeks...

So, I just started my first ever batch yesterday, and was able to sanitize everything with the pack of One Step that came in the kit I purchased. In total it made about 4 gallons of sanitizer, at 1 tbsp to 1 Gallon.

I have 1 more small pack and a 1 lb tub that I purchased. And I was told that this stuff is no good once its been exposed to oxygen. So my question is: I need to take a gravity reading for a minimum of 3 days (assuming that the readings are all the same), will I need to use a whole new tub each time? Or can I get away with using the same pack to sanitize only my hydrometer for 3 days?

It just seems like a pretty big waste to have to use a whole pack for each day...

Any help is appreciated!

Go get some star-san and fill a spray bottle with a mixture of it. Once you go star-san, you'll likely never go back to the one-step stuff.

One Step is really a cleaner, not a dependable sanitizer. Star San is the go to product and it will last a month or more in a spray bottle easily. All you need to do is spray the hydrometer and then use it. You should be taking a sample with a thief or turkey baster in a test jar, not simply placing the hydrometer in the beer, then you can taste your sample and then just toss it.

The brewmaster at a local brewery said that One Step is just fine to use as a sanitizer. He used it, at home, up until he opened his brewery.

From what I could tell when I was looking into it, one step is basically a cleaner (similar to pbw or oxy-clean free) though many retailers do advertise it as a sanitizer and many people have used it as such.
I make my star-san with RO or distilled water and have no problem using it well after month in a spray bottle.

It os my understanding that starsan is effective as long as ph < 3.0 no matter how old it is. As time goes by the alkalinity of tap water can balance the acidity....just add a bit more starsan.

Latest posts

Back