Sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinlassen

chefkevshomebrew
Reaction score
What brands of sanitizer do you guys use.. I'm looking on Amazon for some but only a few ship with amazon prime. Any suggestions? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392584865.630472.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1392584875.476427.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That's what I use too. I was just trying to find something that had free shipping. Trying to save a few pennies.

Starsan...no rinse...rack right on the foam...food grade..I had to manually siphon this morning..swished it from a fresh batch and went to siphoning...worth every penny

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Home Brew mobile app

StarSan is environmentally friendly and it's reusable for long time.

Iodine loses it's potency pretty quickly and it's toxic to the environment.

- ISM NRP

Morebeer has free shipping above $59? Or something like that. Normally they ship really fast. I get stuff from California to Utah in 3 days normally.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Home Brew mobile app

I don't know how effective those other sanitizers are, or how they would stack up against StarSan. But why risk it when a little StarSan goes a long way?

+1 to Morebeer. Free shipping on $59+ is very reasonable, and it's a great company to deal with.

I use Star san now, but originally I used a light bleach/water mix. All depends on how cheap you are. Works just as well, as long as the concentration level is correct. Too much bleach, or too little, can ruin a batch. If done properly, you don't have to rinse either. 1 tablespoon of bleach to 1 gallon of water is sufficient for sanitizing all your equipment.

Like all forums, there will be plenty of people who disagree. That's ok. I learned this easy sanitizer from a how-to, written by a certain Mr. Palmer. I trust his judgment...

I use starsan mostly now, but I did and do use Potassium Metabisulfite as a primary sanitizer and for other various applications. I've heard some people say it shouldn't be used for beer, but i can't imagine why if you use it correctly.

I quite using the Cooper's sanitizer,as the potassium Metabisilfite smells like bleach
& has to be rinsed a couple times to get the bleach-like smell out. Starsan is no rinse & easy to mix & use. I value my hide more than saving a little cash.

I like Starsan. It's not expensive when you mix it up with distilled water and use a spray bottle. An ounce or two might last me MONTHS. I've had the same small bottle of Starsan for a couple of years now.

Yeah,I've had the same small bottle of Starsan for nearly 3 years. Still working on it,as it's about half full at this point.

I bought a bottle of star san for 30$ (32oz) and I still have about 28oz after a year!

Works great.

I bought a bottle of star san for 30$ (32oz) and I still have about 28oz after a year!

Works great.

How do you sanitize your bottles? I fill my bucket up with water and soak mine.

Well i buy used bottles at the supermarket. Then I rinse them with hot water with a "dual washer" (20$) you can search on ebay, amazon or any homebrew store. Then I put them in a bath with soap for a few hours/days doesnt matter. Then rinse them with water to take all the soap out. After this I take the sanitizer thing that goes on top of the bottle drying tree. Put some sanitizer inside and it shoots sanitizer into the bottles. I know its a long process but they are clean and thats whats important. I try using always the same bottles so I dont have to wash them as much.

You can also soak them into the sanitizer but I find you waste a lot of it since it is probably not re-usable after that because the bottle are so dirty. My way I throw about 200ml of sanitizer after I bottle a batch.

You can also think of kegging which is much faster and less sanitizing time, no bottling time etc. I bought myself a nice kegging system for about 360$. 2kegs, all the hoses and plugs, 5lbs co2 bottle and a triple gage regulator or 2 output regulator. At first I wanted to stay with bottles but people here on the forum really convainced me about the system. You can search in my threads that I started the whole conversation about kegging.

StarSan is where it's at. Buy a bigger bottle though. MUCH cheaper per ounce.

I wouldn't mess with anything other than StarSan.

As far as cost goes, it's reusable and the small 8oz bottle will make 40 gallons of excellent no rinse sanitizer. It will take you some time to go through even that little one. The big 32oz bottle can serve your needs for years.

Wow, lots of StarSan love! I like Iodophor best, for my processes, its just very easy. I also use StarSan and kind of go back and forth between them, not at the same time, but will sanitize a carboy with Iodophor one time, then the next time I use it I use StarSan. I don't keep track formally, just mix it up a little.

People used to use bleach to sanatize stuff. If its a foodgrade sanatizer you should be fine.

Sounds good, thanks. I need no-rinse - can't trust the water.

Best, Moritz

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Im old school, I still use the pink powder stuff for my gear. For my bottles i sanitize them in a bin with water and bleach. Im thinking of switching to star san though, from what I am hearing a little goes a long way and its good value.

PBW for cleaning and StarSan to sanitize.

I've been using StarSan for quite a while. But it can go south on you if you mix it with your normal water, especially if that water happens to be hard. I just recently learned that if you spend a buck or so on a bottle of distilled water you can make a batch of it that will last a very long time.

PBW for cleaning and StarSan to sanitize.

I've been using StarSan for quite a while. But it can go south on you if you mix it with your normal water, especially if that water happens to be hard. I just recently learned that if you spend a buck or so on a bottle of distilled water you can make a batch of it that will last a very long time.

Yep. I have a 3 Quart jug from Walmart that they sell their water in. I mix 1/4 ounce of Star-San with Distilled water in that, so it's a bit stronger than the instructions call for.

That jug can last months. I normally stick the autosiphon in it and sanitize the inside of the autosiphon, but it usually is only used to top off a spray bottle. I spray sanitize most everything.

Sometimes I'll pour the jug into a keg and shake it all around, then pour it back into the jug.

Yep. I have a 3 Quart jug from Walmart that they sell their water in. I mix 1/4 ounce of Star-San with Distilled water in that, so it's a bit stronger than the instructions call for.

That jug can last months. I normally stick the autosiphon in it and sanitize the inside of the autosiphon, but it usually is only used to top off a spray bottle. I spray sanitize most everything.

Sometimes I'll pour the jug into a keg and shake it all around, then pour it back into the jug.

+1. One of the great things about StarSan is that it's reusable many times (so long as what you're dipping in it is already clean).

A spray bottle of StarSan is something that I'd never want to brew without.

Latest posts

Back