Sanitize Your Gas Lines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJWP

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this for a while now... Do any of you sanitize your gas lines? How often, what method (just soak in starsan or whatever you use and let drip out?)?

I'm admittedly very paranoid about cleaning and sanitation in my brewing so I'm beginning to get a little nervous about my gas lines. I haven't had a kegged beer come out bad or anything, but I've read that sometimes bacteria can actually get into your keg via infected co2 canisters or gas lines. Worth noting - I have a T connection installed in my gas line that I use for a homemade bottle filler. This part of the line has no quick disconnect or other stopper so it is open to the air - when i use it I just jam a piece of an old racking can onto it and use it to purge bottles... I need to find something to stop that tube up when I'm not using it...

any thoughts?

any tips on cleaning the gas QD? or do you not worry about that either? (sometimes I notice it starts to collect some dirt on the inside of the disconnect when it isnt being used)

Unscrew the top to take apart the QD. Something like this:

gasqdapart1.jpg

You should sanitize the inside of the gas bottle too.

Sorry for that. The concentration of the gas in teh environment is toxic enough to not need to sanitize any of the gas systems. If you get a beer back up a good cleaning is the only thing needed.

IMO, there is no need to sanitize gas lines. Heck, I don't see the need to sanitize beer lines-- just use beer line cleaner and re-attach.

Exactly, over sanitizing is a religion here. There is absolutely no reason to sanitize a beer line, if you keep them clean and full of beer.

IMO, there is no need to sanitize gas lines. Heck, I don't see the need to sanitize beer lines-- just use beer line cleaner and re-attach.

and i'm so lazy I rarely even do that! I just swap in a new keg and then push enough beer to refill the line with the new beer.

i mean, if the old keg wasn't infected, then the beer line is not infected and relatively clean.

i do own BLC though and do clean em about once a year.

and i'm so lazy I rarely even do that! I just swap in a new keg and then push enough beer to refill the line with the new beer.

i mean, if the old keg wasn't infected, then the beer line is not infected and relatively clean.

i do own BLC though and do clean em about once a year.

Wow! Your lazy and a pig.;) :D

Back