Sanitize When?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the sanitzers we use, especially Starsan and iodophor are No rinse/wet contact sanitizers. They are literally double edged swords. They kill two ways. They kill everything on the object prior to sanitizing, and then as long as they are still wet they form a sanitizer barrier that kills everything that comes into contact with object.

If you let the sanitizer dry any micro organism that comes in contact with the sanitized object, rather than being killed by it, makes the object no longer sanitzed.

If you let it dry you are reducing it's efficacy by 50%

You really want to sanitize right at the time you are using the thing you are sanitizing. And let the wort/beer flow on top of it.

I put a lot of good info and tips of effectively using sanitizers in here. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/[/QUOTE]

In starsan's case it becomes yeastfood which is really good for fermentation.

Thanks Got the answer as soon as I posted.
I assume that would also apply to taking a sample from the fermenter.
Sanitize the wine thief each time. Does removing the airlock at that time also
cause a risk of contamination?

Thanks Got the answer as soon as I posted.
I assume that would also apply to taking a sample from the fermenter.
Sanitize the wine thief each time. Does removing the airlock at that time also
cause a risk of contamination?

Think about this, We spend so much time online, in books and podcasts cautioning brewers what not to do and we ALSO preach on those same mediums the value of taking a hydro reading. If there really was a problem with opening our buckets to take a reading, do you think we would advocate it so much????? Unless you think it's a secret plot by experienced brewers to intentionally ruin new, inexperienced brewer's, chances of winning contest by doing it....no which is more irrational, that or your paranoia???? ;)

Seriously your beer is protected by a cushion of co2 which is heavier than air. Unless you take out your trusty egg beater and whip it into a froth, taking a few grav reading won't harm your beer.

A spray bottle of sanitizer is great in these situations.

If i was going to do it now i would put a gallon of star san in my bucket and shake the crap out of it right before transferring wort

Does starsan kill yeast? Like when you rehydrate your yeast in a sanitized container? Didn't cause any problems but was curious.

Does starsan kill yeast? Like when you rehydrate your yeast in a sanitized container? Didn't cause any problems but was curious.

Please read the thread I linked to in my first post. There's a podcast with the maker of starsan, and probably every question answered you could have. The answer is no, it is good for yeast actually. But more info can be found in the thread.

Latest posts

Back