Sanitize Dry Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike8228

Reaction score
I did a Black IPA recently and did a dry hop for the first time. But afterward I thought, should I have sanitized the hops first? I know you don’t want to boil them because that changes the oils you want to impose on the beer. My question is, do you/are you, supposed to sanitize them? Soak them in vodka like zest? Not sure how else you could do it with messing with the character needed for dry hopping.

Thoughts?

I never sanitise hops for two reasons - they have antibacterial properties and also alcohol in beer takes care of infections. I’m not aware of any brewer who sanitizes hops for dry hopping. Never had a infection.

You are overthinking it. There haven't been any things found in dried hops to date that will spoil beer.

Me neither. Hops go straight from the bag into the fermenter if I'm doing them loose; if in a muslin bag I'll rinse it in sanitizer first because I don't know where it's been.

Back