Sanitize Blow Off Tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runkelia

Reaction score
Saturday was brew day - everything went as planned, this time pitched a rehydrated Nottingham yeast, haven't used this before. I was slightly nervous as the biggest carboy I had available was a 6 gallon better bottle, and I filled that sucker up like 5 1/2 gallons, so not a lot of head space.
Saturday night there was activity, maybe 1/2" Krausen, head space diminishing.
Sunday morning I ran into the basement and saw that the bung & airlock had blown off, and there was active blow off, it must have just started.
I ran and got my 1"? tube I use for my 6 1/2 gallon carboy, but wasn't big enough for the better bottle, I think they use a #10 bung.
I rummaged through other tubing I had, and it did fit through the bung.
So I washed off the bung, and sprayed it all with star san I had in a spray bottle, put the other end into a bottle 3/4 full of star san, and put that in a bucket.
In the chaos of all of this, I didn't sanitize the inside of the tubing, just sprayed the outside.
I checked again this morning and it is bubbling like crazy still, should I be concerned?
When I normally put an airlock on after pitching - I never sanitize my airlock just the bung, haven't had a problem, maybe luck has been on my side.
What would you do?

P9070600.JPG

As soon as the krausen is no longer pushing into the blow off tube, remove it and replace with the air lock. You are most likely okay. All the krausen and CO2 coming out of the carboy would keep anything from going in.

I sanitize my air locks by completely submerging them in Starsan solution to fill them, then pour down to the fill line.

Latest posts

Back