Sanitising then storing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bateleur

Reaction score
I’m bottling in 10 days, and want to sanitise my bottles ahead of time. I have free time now.
I’ve chosen the ‘bake bottles in oven with foil on top’ method. I’ve heard this not only sanitises them, but it sterilises them.
After they cool down, they are good to store indefinitely while those (flimsy, sure-to-be-knocked-off) makeshift aluminium foil lids are covering the opening.
My bottles are swing-top, so my drawn out question is:
What method do I need to use to sanitise my swing-top lids so I can affix them to the bottle, close them, and ensure they will be fit for bottling without further treatment (either in 10 days or 10 months).

Be aware that the swing tops that look to be ceramic and therefore resistant to high temps, are NOT. They're plastic and yes they do melt. I melted one last year trying to heat it up to get a worn rubber gasket off.

Thanks Jim - yes, the tops aren’t in the bake. Looking for an alternate method due to them not withstanding the heat.

I will just mention that I sanitize bottles in my dishwasher on the heated dry 'sanitize' cycle, and it works well for me.

I wish I had a dishwasher with that option :). Will the sanitiser keep the tops sanitised for a long duration?

If you took a piece of foil and a very tight rubber band on each bottle it MIGHT stay sanitary.

I feel that sanitizing then storing is usually just a waste of time.

Get a Vinator and Starsan. It makes sanitizing on bottling day fairly short work.

This ^

I clean my bottles in the dishwasher then store them upside down in a FastRack. Then when time to bottle, I spritz them w/ Star-San using the vinator.

I put the bottles in the dishwasher on the top rack and angle them to ensure they get water and detergent sprayed inside them. Of course, prior to this they are triple-rinsed

dishwasherbottle.jpg

Nice, however I’ve already started the bake off so I’m committed to the oven method this time around.
So my question has evolved to:
If I attach sanitised flip tops to sterile bottles and close it, can the interior be compromised with bacteria?

Nice, however I’ve already started the bake off so I’m committed to the oven method this time around.
So my question has evolved to:
If I attach sanitised flip tops to sterile bottles and close it, can the interior be compromised with bacteria?

No. Unless they're the dreaded glass-boring bacteria that go right through the sides of the bottle. :)

You'll be fine doing that.

Back