Samuel Smiths Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oregonbrew541

Reaction score
Tried & True Samuel Smiths Organic Cider Clone
w/ slightly higher abv

Yeast: Nottingham
Batch Size (U.S.Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.064
Final Gravity: 1.004
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 5 days or until 1.010 70*-74*f.
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 5 days 70*-74*f.

if you follow my recipe and instructions you will end up with a tried and true Samuels Smiths Clone. Any different yeast, sugars, or methods will produce a different brew so if you mess with it don't post about how it doesn't taste the same, on the other hand please post your pics of the attempts.

5 gals of Apple Juice (no preservatives)
400 grams of dextrose
700 grams of evaporated cane sugar
1 packet of Nottingham yeast
yeast nutrient (dap), & energizer

--Ferment in primary for 5-6 days or until gravity of 1.010 is reached, whichever comes first. Then transfer to secondary.
--Settle in secondary for 1 week or until fg of 1.004 is reached,whichever comes first.
--After secondary bottle with 3/4 cup of dextrose. Let sit 16 days and stove top pasteurize. If your worried test carb a week in and every couple days after making sure not to over carb. instructions here>https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy-stove-top-pasteurizing-pics-193295/

This is absolutely my best recipe. whether your new to cider or seasoned this brew will become a regular, i always have five gals on tap over here and have never met a person that didn't love it! Other recipes like applewein are just too hoochy or like caramel apple cider too sweet. I find this to be perfectly balanced. Give it a try and tell me what you think!

Heres the stuff...

Samuel-Smith-hard-cider1.jpg

Cold cup of this fresh out the bottle… holy **** this stuff is so dangerously good!:drunk:

IMG_1428.jpg

16 days before pasteurizing? Sounds like a recipe for disaster...

really I've never had problems. I do bottle in flip-top bottles but even after brewing about 15 batches, having multiple friends brew many batches of this of this and never having over carbonation i think my instructions will works no problem! As a matter of fact i literally just pasteurized a batch today that was priming for three weeks… I'm not sure what your process is but if your worried what so ever, no problem! Just designate a few bottles for carb test bottles, at a week (unless you have a better suggestion) take first carb test followed every three days or until desired carb is reached and then pasteurize. MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT OVER CARB OR YOU WONT BE ABLE TO PASTEURIZE WITHOUT POPPING BOTTLES OPEN! Just keep an eye on them, if you can't do that this recipe isn't for you.

Not at all a recipe for disaster! Per his clear instructions you are finishing out the cider in the secondary and then priming for carbonation with a reasonable amount (I would cut the dextrose a bit, but that is just my volume preference with a cider). It is more to a dry than sweet cider, like Sammy Smith's, and without the added back-sweetening sugars no bombs should be going off.

This recipe is very tempting to me.

The current juice I have been using is surprisingly high in sugar...gravity more like 1.06 vs 1.045 - 1.05. Should I tone down the added sugars (in the same ratio) to hit a gravity of 1.064 or add all the sugar and live with the extra alcohol? I really like this juice, but I guess I can always make a trip to wally world and get basic juice.

Is there a recommendation on aging or is this pretty much ready to go?

When you transfer to secondary do you top up with juice or just leave a bigger air gap?

Thanks,

This recipe is very tempting to me.

-The current juice I have been using is surprisingly high in sugar...gravity more like 1.06 vs 1.045 - 1.05. Should I tone down the added sugars (in the same ratio) to hit a gravity of 1.064 or add all the sugar and live with the extra alcohol? I really like this juice, but I guess I can always make a trip to the store and get basic juice.

-Is there a recommendation on aging or is this pretty much ready to go?

-When you transfer to secondary do you top up with juice or just leave a bigger air gap?

Thanks,

-If your trying to get as close to this recipe i would either tone down the added sugars (in the same ratio) to hit a gravity of ~1.064, or make a trip to wally world which isn't really necessary. Just don't expect a 100% clone without following recipe exactly. Either way it will be awesome!

- Normally it disappears before it get the chance to age, other then the priming period no aging is necessary. Not to say it wouldn't make it better but patience is an issue with me which is another reason i like this brew so much, no aging requirements.

-When racked to secondary there is no need to add anything. If instructions are followed there should be a gravity of 1.010 when transferred. This should leave enough fermentation to create a nice c02 blanket to protect brew from oxidation until transferred again for bottling. I hope this helps!:mug:

Also to anyone making the brew i use Langers brands apple juice

This last friday a friend of mine had his wedding and asked if i could bring a keg of my cider, i gladly did. It was gone in about 45 minutes. Everyone was very impressed and preferred my brew over the hefe, fat tire, and wine, Mine was the first to go. looks like next time well need two kegs! :tank:

Back