Samuel Smith Oatmeal stout 'Summer'

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not personally, although I've seen enough black IPA recipes on this site to know that there are examples of coloring the beer dark without adding roast flavor.

As for the actual recipe, if it's not going to be an actual stout, then it's really up to you. If you're trying to make a light version of a stout, I'd have to think about it a bit more. To be honest, roast and coffee flavors don't say "summer" to me, so I've probably already given you my best idea.

The good thing is that oats can be used in tons of styles. A good example are Surly's recipes (found at Northern Brewer), which almost all use oats for mouthfeel purposes.

I like the oaty/light schwartz-ish style beer idea. As far as how to make it, well it's really up to you. If you want I could write you up a recipe on BeerSmith.... actually I'd be more than happy to.

But if you want to go for it yourself, here are some things to keep in mind:
- 2-row base malt. If you want the biscuit-flavors synonymous with British ales then go with UK 2-row
- Use between 1# and 2# of rolled oats (Quaker oats work just fine) but make sure to use 0.5# - 1# of rice hulls in the mash to prevent stuck runnings. Just make sure to rinse/soak the hulls in hot water to ensure they won't add any flavors or change your calculated strike/dough-in temps
- If you want to add some more interesting flavors to a lighter beer by toasting the oats. Toast the oats in a baking sheet @350*F until your kitchen smells like oatmeal cookies and the oats become slightly brown
- Use around 0.5# of crystal 20, 40, or 60 to add some extra body and malty sweetness
- If you really want this to be a summer ale (which I assume to be a beer that you can drink plenty of without getting fershnikered and is also very refreshing) try using American C hops: Cascade and Centennial for more citrusy flavors, Chinook and Columbus for earthy/resinous/dank flavors.

Dang, this is sounding really good. I'm definitely going to write up a recipe for this one... especially since I've never been good at determining SRM off the top of my head so I'm not sure on the amount of CarafaIII to use. I'm going to guess 0.75# will be perfect :D

I'll post the results later today!

I like the oaty/light schwartz-ish style beer idea. As far as how to make it, well it's really up to you. If you want I could write you up a recipe on BeerSmith.... actually I'd be more than happy to.

But if you want to go for it yourself, here are some things to keep in mind:
- 2-row base malt. If you want the biscuit-flavors synonymous with British ales then go with UK 2-row
- Use between 1# and 2# of rolled oats (Quaker oats work just fine) but make sure to use 0.5# - 1# of rice hulls in the mash to prevent stuck runnings. Just make sure to rinse/soak the hulls in hot water to ensure they won't add any flavors or change your calculated strike/dough-in temps
- If you want to add some more interesting flavors to a lighter beer by toasting the oats. Toast the oats in a baking sheet @350*F until your kitchen smells like oatmeal cookies and the oats become slightly brown
- Use around 0.5# of crystal 20, 40, or 60 to add some extra body and malty sweetness
- If you really want this to be a summer ale (which I assume to be a beer that you can drink plenty of without getting fershnikered and is also very refreshing) try using American C hops: Cascade and Centennial for more citrusy flavors, Chinook and Columbus for earthy/resinous/dank flavors.

Dang, this is sounding really good. I'm definitely going to write up a recipe for this one... especially since I've never been good at determining SRM off the top of my head so I'm not sure on the amount of CarafaIII to use. I'm going to guess 0.75# will be perfect :D

I'll post the results later today!

yea that sound intresting.. mayb something like Centenail Blonde with oats..

Try this on for size. This is with 70% brewhouse efficiency and 5.5 gallon batch (I always do 0.5 gallon extra to account for loss due to trub.) This gives an SRM of 29.5 (0.75# CarafaIII... CALLED IT!) and an IBU of 29.9. IBU:GU ratio is 0.71, so on the malty side but not cloyingly sweet. With CarafaIII you may get varying SRM depending on where you buy it, as well as alpha acid percentages for the hops.

7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 75.68 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 10.81 %
0.75 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 8.11 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.41 %

0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 12.8 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (45 min) Hops 8.4 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 2.0 IBU

Interesting. It's like a dark pale ale.

A bit, yeah :D

If you want to summerize it further, Mash at 150*F for 60 minutes and maybe even use a lager yeast and really lager it (if you have the temp control capabilities)

thanks Reno, I don't have lager equipment. I will toast the oats..
what kind of yeast would you suggest? Wyeast 1084?

S-04 and #1099 are the Whitbread strains and are great with English beers, IMHO.

But yeah, 1084 could be great with this one.

Back