Samual Smith Cider clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoomerCreek

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has created a recipe for a Sammy Smith Cider clone. I enjoy the light, almost creamy cider on hot days and would like to be able to take a shot at my own version. They list malic acid as one of their ingredients and I have very little experience with adding it. Does anyone have a rough idea on ratios for it? Thanks everyone!

Sam Smiths is what I try to re-create when I make cider. I've played with malic acid but generally don't use it since my final product is tart enough. I would recommend adding malic acid with either pH or final taste as your gauge; if you use initial taste as your gauge it's easy to overshoot.

According to SS literature, their cider is made with wine yeast. Ingredients list cane sugar. I can't get cane sugar and wine yeast to taste like that; I use dextrose & rice syrup with ale yeast.

Back