Sampling from a carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indigo

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of my second attempt at homebrew, and my first try at using a carboy. What I'm trying to figure out is the best way to pull a sample from the carboy to check the gravity and taste of the cider that's in there. I tried using a part of an Easy-Wand (just the interior part, didn't want to get the whole thing dirty and have to sanitize it again) and just made a mess of it.

So, any tips? Is there a piece of equipment I should know about? Should I just suck it up and use the Easy-wand? I only need to pull out a few ounces to fill the hydrometer tube.

Wine thief.

I have one, it works great. When you put it in the carboy, give it a moment to fill up before you place your thumb over the hole and draw it out.

Also, sanitize the mouth of the carboy (and the wine thief, of course) before using a wine thief. I spray star-san solution around the mouth before I remove bung/airlock, and give it 30 sec to a minute to do its thing.

I use the fermtech wine thief. Just put it in, sometimes shake a little... and pull out, you can take hydrometer tests right from inside it. I then put the thief into a glass and press the button on the bottom of the glass to empty it in the glass for a taste test.

I use medical syringe (60 ml) with rubber hose attached on it. Two samples and my test jar is full. Very easy to sanitize because all I have to sanitize is bottom of hose.

Back