Sampling beer on bottling day with club soda?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to bottle an IPA that's been dry hopping for a few days and I'm eager to have a small sample. I was thinking of pouring some beer into a glass with a small amount of club soda to get a hint of what it may taste like when we're all done and conditioned. Does anyone participate in this technique? I figure the worst I would do is dilute my IPA to a PA. Is there a better way to sample other than flat? :mug:

I drink my beer on bottling day, transfer day, kegging day...Well, any time I get into it, I try it. Here's what I do. I try to keep a similar style on hand for carbonation. If your doing an IPA, you can use a PA or an IPA. About 1/3 of a bottle will give it a decent carb...more for more...that's what I do. I have also used this method in the past on a beer that for some reason would not carbonate. It was a PA so I just blended 50/50's until it was gone. Worked like a champ!

Cheers,

Taco

I haven't done it this way, though I might give it a try. Probably what I will end up doing, though, is using one of those 2L bottle ball lock adapters and just carbonating a sample in a plastic bottle :)

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412906130.650831.jpg

Back