Same yeast, different krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROLLTIDE

Reaction score
Can someone confirm that I am not ruining two batches ?

Top brown layer (first batch): 3 gallons AJ, Safale S-04, 3 cups sugar and 1/2 cup simmered,mashed & strained raisins. OG of 1.095 cold crashed early for a sweet weak wine for the swmbo.

Lower white layer (current batch): 3 gallons AJ, reused yeast. OG of 1.060

This new batch is only 24 hours old and took off immediatly when I added AJ.

IMG_1811[1].jpg

I don't fully understand but based on your description and the picture of the Carboy I would venture a guess that everything looks as it should

Thx Pug, it smells okay but that brown on top is DENSE. I guess it's all of the nutrients from the raisins.......or something. Just noob paranoia, thanks again.

Yeah, particles, proteins, hops, grain, etc will all get lifted up by the krausen. That's pretty normal. I'd say you're doing fine but getting close to needing a blow off tube :D

And your fancy carbon filtration system is nifty looking too. So far there have only been about 2 batches I would have needed one but they sure could have used it (antwerp ale yeast is what stands out in my mind).

Thanks, I posted some simple instructions in the diy forum and you can get a dash of carbon at any pet store. I use these on all of my ferments because the other half of my "wine cellar" my wife calls her closet, lol.

Back