Same wort for Northern English Brown and Belgian Dubbel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scone

Reaction score
I'm contemplating brewing a 10g batch of something that is almost-exactly Jamil's Northern English Brown:

80% Maris Otter
7% Special Roast
4% Victory
4% Pale Chocolate
2% Flaked Oats

and splitting it between two primaries and fermenting one with Nottingham, and one with WLP 550. I'm not sure about hops yet, but maybe something like Fuggles to 25 IBU... Special Roast is a weird ingredient for a dubbel, but I feel like it could work...

On the Dubbel side, I plan to also add 1 lb. of home-made candy syrup, but I'm wondering about Special B. Is it important enough in a dubbel to do a nano-mash of just 1/2 lb. of Special B, boil, cool and add it to just the dubbel fermenter? Or should I just do 1lb. of it in the 10g mash? I'm wondering if Special B will totally throw off the English Brown... I feel like it needs to go into the Dubbel though, at least it appears in virtually every Dubbel recipe out there.

What do you all think?

The raisin/prune aroma and flavor is pretty essential to the style, IMO. Do you get much of that from the syrup? If so, you could probably skip it, but otherwise I'd split the wort in half, and throw in a bit of Special B as you are beginning to heat the "dubbel" wort up to a boil. I don't think it's necessary to mash it as it is a crystal malt.

I have no idea about the syrup flavor, I've never made it before. I was planning on doing a single boil of all 10g, so I figured if the Special B is going to be weird in the English, I could make a Special B "soup" to throw in the dubbel (which I would boil and cool separately). Even better if it doesn't need to be mashed, since I can just steep it a bit and drain the grains.

By the way, this entire exercise is because I want to make 10 gallons of beer in one go, but I want to make two different beers. I figure with minimal effort I can make two fairly different beers at the same time.

In my opinion it wouldn't taste like a dubbel. A dubbel normally doesn't have any dark malts in it (all of the dark color is from dark crystal and/or dark candi syrup), and has pilsner as a base. I suppose you could use the Belgian yeast for half and call it an anglo-belgian brown ale.

Back